Contributor

Re: Can anyone identify this plant I saw on my walk today...

I have one of these over my swing arbor. It's pretty old. I was told by my mother that it is a Dropmore Scarlet Honeysuckle (Lonicera x Brownii) It blooms first in the spring and then in July it has red berries and the hummingbirds love the blooms. Hope this helps. I am in zone 8.

Honored Contributor

Looks like as @Allegheny said a native honeysuckle. Google honeysuckle berries. 

Saw one photo at urbanbutterflygarden.co.uk

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

It looks like a honseysuckle plant that has gone to seed.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Flower.jpgFascinating!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone!!!

I was really stumped and had never seen one like it before...

Valued Contributor

@Nataliesgramma it appears to be a Lonicera etrusca, Etruscan honeysuckle berries.  I  have so many types of honeysuckles and note many of them are toxic (now I know what happened to my brain when young as we used to suck on one type as the time).

Why do you not just pinch of a piece on your next walk and root it.  Honeysuckle, as you probably already know, grow like weeds.  I have no doubt that if you rooted a piece or two you would have plenty in a couple of years.  

I agree with you that it is pretty.  

Esteemed Contributor

@INDIANA BONES wrote:

@Nataliesgramma it appears to be a Lonicera etrusca, Etruscan honeysuckle berries.  I  have so many types of honeysuckles and note many of them are toxic (now I know what happened to my brain when young as we used to suck on one type as the time).

Why do you not just pinch of a piece on your next walk and root it.  Honeysuckle, as you probably already know, grow like weeds.  I have no doubt that if you rooted a piece or two you would have plenty in a couple of years.  

I agree with you that it is pretty.  

@INDIANA BONESI already have one Huneysuckle bush....not sure of the variety....it has been around 30 years....... orange berries....my birds love that bush.

I am going to get a cutting on my walk today. I just didn't want to touch it if it was poisonous.....