Esteemed Contributor

Can Someone Identify This Tree Bush)

My daughter who live in Roanoke Va sent me this picture.  I am not sure.  It might be a bush or tree but she likes it.  She suggested a Lilac but I am not sure.Tree.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Can Someone Identify This Tree Bush)

@bonnieluFrom the picture I see a lilac bush. It looks like the one in my backyard. It blooms only in the spring

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

That is a crape myrtle (Lagerstroemia indicawhich would be in bloom right now and will flower for most of the summer.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Beautiful.. GOT TO GET ME ONE!  lol.  However in my back yard are ooodles of deer.  They eat everything else so why not these.  Thanks.

Frequent Contributor

Yes, I totally agree with Gardensla. It is a crepe myrtle, and it is available in many beautiful colors.

Respected Contributor

I have white crepe myrtles lining my driveway and love them.  They're in full bloom right now.Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

Crape Myrtle

Super Contributor

This tree is a crape myrtle.  Comes in many colors,ie:  White, Red, Bright Pink, Lavender, and a Dark Purple.  Blooms early summer, and should be cut back hard in early spring, later winter.   She may want to check with her extenstion officer or better yet, her Lowes or home depot and read the tag on one of the trees for sale.   It doesn't do well north of the mason/dixon line.  

Honored Contributor

Crepe myrtle tree or shrub. Depending on where you live they are hardy only to Hardiness Zone 6 (with winter protection there) to Hardiness Zone 11. New varieties push the Hardiness Zone to 7, they are among the last plants to leaf out in Zone 7. In Hardiness Zone 6 you will see a lot of winter dieback on this plant.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

I planted 3 and they are small, maybe 3 ft but already blooming. I have true red, white and a dark magenta