Honored Contributor

Re: Can Someone Identify This Tree Bush)

I'm at the Jersey Shore and patiently waiting for our crape/crepe myrtles to bloom.

If anyone is considering planting, most of ours were planted the summer 2015 and they are now about 6 feet tall. (and quite wide)

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu2, thanks for the tidbit on their growth. Can't wait for mine to be full grown. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lulu2 wrote:

I'm at the Jersey Shore and patiently waiting for our crape/crepe myrtles to bloom.

If anyone is considering planting, most of ours were planted the summer 2015 and they are now about 6 feet tall. (and quite wide)

@lulu2 Have your crepe myrtles bloomed previous years?  If not, they're not getting enough sun.  They like full sun.  Mine in zone 7 have been blooming for several weeks now.  They don't have to be large to bloom.  Mine bloomed the summer it was 12" tall. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

@lulu2 Have your crepe myrtles bloomed previous years?  If not, they're not getting enough sun.  They like full sun.  Mine in zone 7 have been blooming for several weeks now.  They don't have to be large to bloom.  Mine bloomed the summer it was 12" tall. 

@Kachina624

Yes, they've bloomed every year since planted.  None around the area are in bloom  yet.  They have lots of buds so will more than likely bloom within a few days.

Contributor

I have to disagree with the idea that Crepe Myrtles should be "cut back hard".  In fact, Crepe Myrtles do not need to be cut back at all.  To do so, to the point of making 'stubs' or bare sticks like some people do, is extremely hard on the plant and can sometimes lead to that whole stem dying out.  Fine Gardening magazine refers to this practice as "Crepe Murder".  Those needing a smaller Crepe Myrtle should research varieties and purchase one that only grows to the height they desire.  Nowadays, there are varieties commonly available from 3 feet to 20+ feet and everything in between.

Occasional Contributor

@aoldgirl wrote:

This tree is a crape myrtle.  Comes in many colors,ie:  White, Red, Bright Pink, Lavender, and a Dark Purple.  Blooms early summer, and should be cut back hard in early spring, later winter.   She may want to check with her extenstion officer or better yet, her Lowes or home depot and read the tag on one of the trees for sale.   It doesn't do well north of the mason/dixon line.  

Good news for us northerners!  My daughter and I picked up a Crepe Myrtle form Home Depot in June.  We knew nothing about it but that the sale price was 14 dollars and I wanted something green in the corner of my front patio. (North exposure)  So we watered and prayed that it would survive the summer.  I did get curious and went on-line to research. Guess what? Do to climate change, crepe myrtle can handle temps here in south PA!  But wait!  It gets better.  Two weeks ago I started seeing little buds.  My "Joy" (I named her) is now full of bright pink blooms!!!

This reinforces my gardening philosophy: 'I don't care. Try it!'

Respected Contributor

I'm in Westchester County, NY and our Crepe Myrtle are almost in full bloom.  They look beautiful.

It is a Crape Myrtle tree

Contributor

This is a Crepe Myrtle. I have all colors of Crepe Myrtles in my yard. My favorite color are the purple ones. Mine are in bloom now and beautiful. I don't cut mine back like a lot of people do. I only cut branches that are dead are need to be cleaned up a bit. I hate to see a butchered up crepe myrtle. I have some that are at least 15 feet tall. Some of mine are quite old. I have one just like the one that bonnielu's daughter has in the picture.  Tell her to not cut it back and it will stay beautiful.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]