Respected Contributor

Re: CANT MAKE HUMMINGBIRD NECTAR...

Thank you, @NickNack I would never have imagined brown sugar would be problematic, just that one might have to change it more often.  I did know not to use honey, molasses or artificial sweeteners. Since I don't use sugar except to make hummingbird nectar, I only buy about 5# a year, if that, and still have half a pound from last fall, so I hope the stores re-stock before I need to buy more.  Otherwise I will have to take down my feeder so the hummers go elsewhere.

Respected Contributor

My daughter found sugar...she brought me a 5lb pkg so I'll hold out for a while and then hope to make the nectar.
Honored Contributor

Gosh, never thought about stores being out of sugar.  I don't remember my store being out of sugar, but then again, I wasn't looking for it since I use so little except for feeding the hummingbirds.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack  Can a person use the Simple Sugar containers found in the bar mixers section of the supermarket (in a pinch)?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@NickNack  Can a person use the Simple Sugar containers found in the bar mixers section of the supermarket (in a pinch)?

@JustJazzmom   I wouldn't think so.  Everything I've read says only white sugar and water.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Wish I had hummingbirds around.  If there is a bright side to not finding sugar for them it is you haven't started feeding them yet.  Worse to start feeding them then have their source dry up.  Then they're up a creek.  hope you find some sugar for them.

P.S.  someone said no to Confectioners sugar. for Sure. There's Cornstarch in Confectioners sugar.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@JustJazzmom   I wouldn't think so.  Everything I've read says only white sugar and water.

I looked at Master of Mixes Simple Syrup but it contains Sodium Benzoate & Sodium Acid Sulfate.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@NickNack  @Dazlin 

Can someone tell me what ratio of white sugar to water they use?  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@NickNack  @Dazlin 

Can someone tell me what ratio of white sugar to water they use?  

@Tinkrbl44   It's 1 part sugar to 4 parts water.  I use very hot water and shake it until it's dissolved.  It doesn't take long.  Let it cool before putting it out for the hummingbirds.  There's no need to boil the water.  Do not use food coloring.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I bought 3 Fushia hanging baskets to help feed the Hummers.....they LOVE those....