Valued Contributor

Re: Bulbs from your local garden center

That is what I was told but I don't really think it's true.  Where I live when you drive around the area there are hundreds of daffodils that come up every year on the sides of the road and in fields.  They have had no care!   

I dug up several of mine in one area that stopped blooming and replanted.  They still didn't bloom for about three years and then they did!  Really wonder if they need to take a rest!

Esteemed Contributor

@kitty60  You do know to let the greenery die back completely before cutting it back? That helps feed the bulbs for the following spring blooms. So, it may be unattractive! But don't cut it off until it is completely discolored for best daffodil blooms the following year. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@happycat.  There are many sources for plants like daylilies and many thst produce better quality than what's offered at QVC.  I live in a high desert area that's hardly a "garden spot", but we do have clubs that have annual sales of plants along with excellent advice on how to grow them.

One of my favorite sources is eBay, often from gardners thinning out plants in their own gardens.  I've gotten large, healthy plants from these people.

Also there a specialty sellers which have huge fields on which they raise only daylilies.  They have unusual plants which are large and healthy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all for the replies.

I do have some daylilies, I think I got from Lowe's and Wal Mart. They are pretty, but nothing spectactular.

@Kachina624 , I never would have thought of looking on ebay.

Trusted Contributor

We purchased bulbs from Sams.  In May I'm hoping that I can once again purchase most of my annuals at Costco.  One I shop at occassionally had a great selection of Proven Winners last year.  Two others near us didn't  have any so its hit and miss.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I ordered bulbs from CF years ago and they arrived mushy.  Local garden centers carry plants suited for your area.

Valued Contributor

My large area that did not bloom is around an island in my driveway.  I never cut these back.  The ones in my front beds I cut back after they have died off and stocks have withered. I agree, they do no look good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I buy from my local nursery all the time and they have alot of different things that will do well in my area. And I can ask for an opinion anytime I need one. Have ordered from Robertas and Cottage Farms and all have been garbage---so I will spend my $$ helping out my local merchants. Think most of what gets said is hype for your money and I have a hard tome believing that most every plant will do great in all zones-----

Honored Contributor

Have never been tempted to get flowers from QVC, but some of those miracle fertilizer products look promising. I'm waiting to run out of MiracleGro first.

Trusted Contributor

Costco normally sells large bags of bulbs every year. And a very resonable price too. I'm going to try them this year, as I was impressed with the selection.