Respected Contributor

Bugs and squash

[ Edited ]

This is my first year gardending in NC, first time using patio containers, and first time growing yellow squash. 

My plant has pretty much been destroyed by little gray-ish bugs. I have read online to use neam oil or sevin or soapy mixture. 

If I pull what's left of my plant, do I have to treat the soil? I would prefer to use a soapy mixture but the local garden site did not give proportions for the mixturre. I'm assuming it uses dishwashing detergent like Dawn. 

I also think I might try re-planting the squash since the growing season here is so much longer than when I lived in northern NY. 

I'm using Earthboxes for my containers. 

Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Cindy 

Respected Contributor

@cindyNC  You might try searching through You tube in gardening , especially for your area. 

I think NC has a longer growing season than IN where I am .  I do not believe I have ever grown squash without it having bugs and or mildew after I have had a bit of a crop. I usually get a crop that pays me back the seed money invested . Also nicer than in a store.  The flowering always looks lovely in a garden. I have had passerbys ( obviously not garderners ) ask 'what is that lovely flower ?'   Smiley Happy 

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

I always had good luck using Sevin to keep those huge, ugly caterpillars off my tomato plants, however you have to reapply it everytime the plant gets wet.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment