Esteemed Contributor

I live in s.e. PA. There is a proliferation of white sulfurs out here. But not so many lightening bugs so far. And I hardly ever see any monacrchs, only it might be a tad early for them. My hummingbirds have been very active these past couple of weeks, though they were late in arrival. 

I don't know if anyone remembers that I had asked about this white slow mover/flyer that looked like a seahorse, who drifted through the air (looked like in slow motion) and landed in my hedge. I hadn't seen him after that initial sighting, but I did see a baby white something, slow mover, the other day. (Still can't identify it/them, though.)

Who's got all the lightening bugs in their area? And what else do you see in droves?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Bugs, Butterflies & Hums

My hummers are finally making appearances at the feeder!  I think it is the babies.  I rarely saw mom or dad take a little sip then dart back to the lilacs where they seem to be nesting.

Sadly, I have NO bumble bees this year.  Zero, zip.  I'm getting some of the little smaller bees, but the only bumbles we've seen this year have been dead or dying on the back steps.  My salvias are in full bloom and should be brimming with bumble bees - it is very sad.

We keep the property organically, too.  I have heard of the bee crisis and this is the first year that I've been sad enough to witness it.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't seen bumbles since I was a little kid playing in the grass. No, I do remember them when I lived in NY (about 20 years ago). I saw everything up there! Monarchs and Swallowtails by the dozens.

I am still wondering about the lightening bugs. Usually they are flashing enough to light up the countryside!

I'm glad your hums are coming 'round! And wouldn't you know it. Today (I've been working in my office all day and the feeder is right outside my window) was a very slow hummingbird day. Mustache, my squirrel, though, (and her brood) showed up right on schedule!

Honored Contributor

Lightning bugs usually appear in late July/early August by us. So its still early to see them.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Contributor

love lightening bugs .they are so cute ....

hovering on the sky . look like angel...........

Esteemed Contributor

Our hummers are back and active this year.  They have slowed down this week so perhaps they are nesting.  There are some bees around the garden but not as many as I am used to seeing.  It is a bit early yet.  The big color in our garden is yet to come.

Very rainy here this week.  I have a big mulching job to do if it ever clears up long enough!  LM

Trusted Contributor

This morning I was watching the hummers when two very young squirrels that appeared to be nest siblings came through the yard, cross crossing and meeting up every few feet as they foraged.  It was so cute. One put its paw on the other's back and they played and rolled around, then ran up a tree together.  Little pipsqueaks!

I recently found out that people who use Grub-X in their lawns are killing lightning beetle larvae.  Their larvae are burrowed in the ground, similar to Japanese beetle grubs, and all those lawn products kill them off, too.  Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

Saw lots of lightening bugs last night! Have bumble bees too. Haven't seen any hummingbirds yet. Haven't seen a Monarch in a couple of years. We get beautiful swallowtails closer to August. I am in Virginia.
Honored Contributor

Tons of bees, and especially enormous black bees which actually follow me as I leave the flower they were working on.  Otherwise, hummers, bunnies, dragonflies, newts and their like, etc., are all very busy, and birds are bathing in the bird baths during this hot weather.  Several types of butterflies visited a month or so ago, but I expect many more next year when the milkweed plants are in bloom, or this year if they bloom, very young plants right now.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl

Do the large black bees have shiny butts? If so, then they are carpenter bees.

See photo below:

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼