Valued Contributor

Brown Thumb Desperately Seeking Advice

I've never posted in the Garden forum for obvious reasons...note subject title.Woman Sad  I cannot grow anything.  Even artificial plants die. Smiley Frustrated  I'm going to give it another try this year.  I cannot even think about starting from seeds and am looking to purchase well established small plants.  My late husband always started all veggies from seeds and used Burpee.  I have their catalogue and they have small plants.  If anyone is familiar with their quality and can offer advice I would be very grateful.  I live in a condo and have very little planting space so most of my tomatoes will have to go into pots.  I don't want to purchase from Roberta's or Cottage Farms as I've heard too many negatives.  I can purchase some things locally but Burpee has an heirloom collection, a patio princess collection, and a type of tomato called 'Fourth of July' which is an early bloomer.  My local nurseries do not carry those.  Thanks so much in advance.   docsgirl

New Contributor

Re: Brown Thumb Desperately Seeking Advice

I have ordered from Burpee and have always found their quality really good.  I had one small plant I ordered not do well ( my fault!). and I emailed them and they sent me a replacement right away with free shipping!   I don't have great luck starting anything from seed because I always seem to water too much or too little Smiley Sad     But I am sure burpee seeds would be quality, just as their plants are.   Best of luck!

Honored Contributor

My annual nod to farming is to swing by the garden center at Walmart while I'm getting groceries, and buy one Early Girl tomato plant.  It's a nice medium size tomato and produces very fast.  Although I have a yard, I plant it in a pot.  If I'm really feeling rural, I also get a bell pepper plant.  Pinch the bottom stems off the tomato and plant it deep.  I fertilize heavily and need to water daily.  Full sun.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

What kachina said, but I hope you have an outside area to plant your veggies so they get full sun. You must water frequently and well if in a pot. In the ground you can get away with not watering daily during the summer provided there are sprinklers hitting those areas.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Whether we plant the tomato in the garden, or in a well drained bucket, we pinch the tiny leaves off the bottom of the plant, and bury the stem deep in the soil, leaving just enough room that the lowest set of leaves are not touching the dirt.   This makes for a more stable plant as it grows.   When I water our tomatoes, I do not spray water on the plant itself; I water the dirt around the plant, since we are on public water and it contains chemicals.  

We do mix a small amount of 10-10-10 fertilizer in the dirt before we plant, and do not start feeding with Miracle Gro until the plant is growing well, which is always after the 3rd week.   Plants in buckets need a lot of water, but it is also very easy to over water as well.   

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for your advice.  Armed with your information and tips, I will try again and be extremely attentive to my plants.  There's nothing better than a fresh home grown tomato and this year I'm determined to have them.  Thank you again.  I'll let you know how things go.  Here's hoping for a Green Thumb in 2016.  docsgirl