Respected Contributor

Re: Bringing Pine Cones in the house for decorating...

YES they can bring in pests!!!!!!

I do not know if I would put them in the oven, once a pine cone dries out they become brittle and messy.   Perhaps sealing in the plastic bag is the way to go

Esteemed Contributor

Love picking up pine cones - the beautiful symmetry and math of the construction. We have acreage nearby but because of pesky things, I no longer bring these home. I do buy the bag of cinnamon pine cones from Hobby Lobby and have had no problem.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

I've done this for years. Here's what I do. I let them sit in the garage for a few days then I wahs them in the laundry tub with warm water and a few drops of Dawn. Rinse really well with cold water. I lay them on a towel and let them air dry. I usually do spraythem with a clear coat or the tips witha glitter spray. This step is optional. If you are still nervous about them you can place them in a laundry bag near a heat vent (not on it) for a day or two. 

Honored Contributor

I soaked mine in vinegar water for an hour or so, and then baked in a 200 degree oven for about an hour and a half on a foil-covered baking sheet, @Nataliesgramma 

Worked great.  Let them finish air-drying afterward.  It was very easy.

Here are just a few of the ones I collected.

DSCN0742 (2).JPG

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.