Esteemed Contributor

Bringing Pine Cones in the house for decorating...

I decided to add pine cones to my Christmas tree and garlands this year...

Hubby asked why I am buying them when our daughter has FREE ones in her yard....LOL

I got about 30 of them today, but I am wondering if I should seal them or something....I don't want to bring any bugs in the house.

Anyone know?

Honored Contributor

Re: Bringing Pine Cones in the house for decorating...

I washed them in a big bucket ,with a little dawn,then rinsed,and lay them in the sun,to dry.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nataliesgramma :  If you are worried you could heat them for a while in a low temp oven.  My Dad went to Nigeria in the 1960s and brought home some native carvings, which we put in the oven (sometimes these carvings might have pests).

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma 

When I want to bring in something 'questionable' like that, I put it in isolation for a few weeks.

Seal it in clear plastic bag, leave it in the garage. Check in a few weeks to see if anything has hatched, is crawling or flying around in the bag.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma  I always allow these to thoroughly dry out. I've never put them in the oven, but that may sounds like a good idea! The pine cones hold seeds inside, and they will pop while drying out. Make sure they are completely dry if you are going to paint them.

Trusted Contributor

I picked some up from a vacant lot in our neighborhood and they were all covered with pitch! So just be careful, I sure had a hard time washing it off my hands!! 

Honored Contributor

@patbz I know you meant "heat" them, not "beat" them but that little typo gave me a good chuckle, no offense meant!

Super Contributor

Patbz is correct.  Craft websites say to put the pinecones on a pan in a low temp oven (200) for a while.  I would use aluminum foil and/or an old pan.  The heat kills any insect in the cones and sap may drain out. Another thing that can occur is they may open up more than they were.

There are sites that say to soak, from 30 minutes to a day or two in soap and water, some say vinegar, etc.  Just search for drying pine cones and find a method you like.  

The main thing is to kill insects and get rid of the sap. Have fun.

Respected Contributor

Some years ago my grandson's preschool was looking for pine cones for crafts.  I gathered up a bunch from my yard and baked them on a very low heat - like 200 - for a few hours to open them up and dry them.  

Honored Contributor

I was just thinking about doing this myself.  We have a TON of pine cones lying in the yard under our evergreens.  Some years there are very few but this year there is a bumper crop of them! 

You've given me incentive to go out today and gather them up! Smiley Happy