Honored Contributor

Re: Bought New Plant- Potentilla Bella Sol

Potentilla doesn’t like wet soils (clay). I can’t grow them by me because of tne clay soils here.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Potentilla doesn’t like wet soils (clay). I can’t grow them by me because of tne clay soils here.

Uh-oh! That's the definition of my climate/soil. I live in WA state, & my soil is red clay for the most part.

Just for "safety", should I pot it, & keep it in a sunny deck location?

Honored Contributor

@spot555  Try either a raised bed or a large enough pot to enjoy it. You may have to bring it into an unheated garage for the winter. 

Respected Contributor

JustJazz-

This plant tolerates to -50 degrees, so it'll be outside permanently. But, I'll probably pot in on the deck. I don't want it to die in the winter because it's toes are too wet!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@spot555 , that us my favorite color of potentilla.  Love the orange!  

If you amend the soil, it should be ok to plant in the ground I would think.  LM

Respected Contributor

Lilysmom-  Smiley Happy

Okay, that's good news. I have a sunny spot picked out for it, next to my Miss Saori hydrangea (new last year- growing like crazy). I've been amending that area for a few years, so it isn't too bad. 

I love pops of orange in the garden. Hopefully it grows well & fast so I can enjoy it this summer. It arrived safely, & is solid in a gal. pot. 

Thanks everyone for your input!  Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

@spot555  Those bushes take a lickin and keep on tickin !!!, our soil is terrible and they really thrive no matter what.  They love sunshine, but my one bush gets quite alot of shade it's by my Koi pond, and still has lovely  flowers.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hayseed00 wrote:

Those bushes take a lickin and keep on tickin !!!, our soil is terrible and they really thrive no matter what.  They love sunshine, but my one bush gets quite alot of shade it's by my Koi pond, and still has lovely  flowers.

That's great to hear! I know zero about this plant, so I was hoping it wasn't going to be a problem child.  Smiley Happy

I'm simplifying my plants & flowers this year. I mainly want plants that bloom for a few months, & pack a punch visually. I'm so tired of waiting for things to bloom, & after 2 weeks it's over....til next year. My exception to this are my big lillies that are in pots (LOVE them).  Heart

Honored Contributor

You mentioned you like pops of orange in the garden. Try & locate (most likely online) the daylily ‘Frans Hals’ 

Oakes Daylilies has it. 

My ‘Frans Hals’ I had gotten as a freebie years ago from Gilbert H Wild & it’s in front of a ‘Beverly’ hybrid tea rose. It’s very striking.

Respected Contributor

JustJazz-  Smiley Happy

That's beautiful....love the colors. 

Thanks for the rec. Heart