Valued Contributor

Do they have to be put on a trellis? I have a very small one. Are they just a bush and do you trim them. Any help is appreciated.

Respected Contributor

@Elom ....  I have seen them both ways.   Whatever you like.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Bougainvillea

[ Edited ]

@Elom  It depends. We live in Zone 8. Bougainvillea is not freeze hardy. If you live in an area that never freezes, it can become huge, requiring a trellis or other support. Here in Louisiana it is often offered as a hanging basket. We toss ours after the first frost and purchase a new one in the spring. They are beautiful, but all that we have ever had had pretty wicked thorns. It would be easy to winter over in the garage, but for us, more trouble than it is worth. They like acid soil and bloom best in a sunny location and allowing to become dry before watering.

Edited to add: Yes, they can be trimmed and doing so will allow them to branch out and become more bushy.

2012 Bougenvilla, hydrangea, lantana 001.JPG

Respected Contributor

Some of my neighbors have them and they are just growing as a small bush. 

Honored Contributor

I've grown them as an annual in a hanging basket.  I was not interested in trying to winter them in the house.  Too messy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Thank you all. It's so small hoping for a bush.

Frequent Contributor

My friend, in southern california put the beautiful purple on her fence for privacy. One year later, i went to visit her and it looks great, almost filled in. Her colors in her garden blend so well. Created such a calm and peaceful backyard space.

Valued Contributor

In Florida they grow fast...need constant pruning if in an area that is more manicured...thorns are ridiculous!  I have seen them growing wild and tall...beautiful colors and flowers. 

Honored Contributor

@Elom wrote:

Do they have to be put on a trellis? I have a very small one. Are they just a bush and do you trim them. Any help is appreciated.

You can use a trellis. These plants can get huge and they have huge THORNS. If you're just going to plant for a season and keep the plant trimmed, they are ok, but if you put them in the ground they can grow into a giant, difficult to trim, bush. Once established, in ground, they can be difficult to remove. Their overgrowth depends on the variety and your zone.