Honored Contributor

Bluebirds Checking Nest Box For Next Season

[ Edited ]

My bluebirds have already been checking out my nest box for spring!  I don't remember this happening in the past.  I did Google it and read that they often do that.  I have two pair of bluebirds checking it out.  Do any of your bluebirds do this at this time of year?  I took this photo recently.

They also like the woodpecker cylinders that I keep at my feeders.  They are there all the time.  They eat it in the spring and summer, too, but more in the fall.

See post #5 for pictures of Woodpecker seed cylinder and cylinder feeder.  Bluebirds don't like the other seed cylinders.  The Woodpecker seed cylinder has bark butter, which is suet.

@Dazlin 

422A8AC5-085B-4759-A844-7E2171B10037.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Re: Bluebirds Checking Nest Box For Next Season

@NickNack  What are woodpecker cylinders?   Are they in this picture?

Honored Contributor

That is wonderful that you get to see them and all their Bluebird activities!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Mine have been doing the same thing!

Making 'reservations' I guess, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@NickNack  What are woodpecker cylinders?   Are they in this picture?

@KatieB   I'll update my post to explain that.  I'm sorry that I didn't think to do that.  I buy woodpecker cylinders from Wild Birds Unliited.

I'm attaching a picture of the feed cylinder itself as well as the cylinder feeder.  Wild Birds Unlimited has both.  The reason they like5F60A52E-C578-47C7-85B9-260546D7F47D_4_5005_c.jpeg the feed cyliner is because it has suet (which is bark butter at Wild Birds Unlimited).  

Other birds love the feed cylinder, too.  I always have cardinals, Carolina chickadees, tufted titmice, white breasted nuthatches and others.  I really enjoy watching the birds.

5F60A52E-C578-47C7-85B9-260546D7F47D_4_5005_c.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Anything high in fat such as peanut pieces or the suet blocks or cylinders most birds like for the winter. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@NickNack , yes mine are going in and out...my guess  they're checking it out to roost during colder weather.  They often use the same box during winter to roost...that may be what your seeing.  Then starting February (here in Florida) they check it out for nesting. 

Respected Contributor

I keep suet blocks out too, tried all varieties, but I never see bluebirds on it.  I'll get the woodpeckers and now I'm flooded with yellow warblers, little finch type bird.  They're eating the mealworms too...which I'd rather the bluebirds get.

Respected Contributor

I live in a northern state & some of the bluebirds stay all winter, a  group of them will gather in a nesting box overnight to stay warm. I have 3 boxes & lots of baby bluebirds every year....the only thing I do is keep an eye out for wrens & remove their nests from the boxes. 

Respected Contributor

I'm in southern CT and we had 2 bluebird broods this summer. I would put out the worms and talk to them and I swear they chatter back to me- 💝 They still come around every day for a bit. Today the whole fam was drinking in the birdbath. They eat a bit from my feeders And sometimes they do sit on the bird house. The other night my hubby opened it (thinking the door was loose) and someone flew out, but he didn't see what because it startled him- All The birds are wonderful, the chickadees, woodpeckers, jays, all are welcome! 💝💝💝👏🏼