Respected Contributor

Re: Bluebird house, i just mounted 😃

Ha, I get the blue Jay's too, but they're not here yet.  Last season they all seemed to get along...maybe having several feeders out helped.  I kinda like them because their so colorful, rich blues.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   AllAboutBirds dot org is a good website to look up certain birds.  It will give you lots of information.  I just looked to see if bluebirds were year round in Florida, and they are.

Since the bluebirds have abandoned the nest in that bird house, I would suggest plugging the hole.  It's much too large and would allow predators to destroy the eggs or babies.  I also think you said it was metal, and it might get way too hot for them in the summer.

I have a feeling they'll discover your other house at some point and start building a nest in it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , appreciate you looking up the bluebirds,  I couldn't find anything definitive about being migratory here in Florida.   I can't figure why they disappeared so suddenly..but I'll continue putting out mealworms, and I also put ground eggshells when they were building the nest.   Yes, would be so nice if they use the cedar house.  I have another one further away along my driveway,  no feeder or baths there.  Also the one pictured here.  Also one off my lanai, but that's a busy area with several feeders, and a birdbath.   I posted pics a while back, includes the swing like yours.  Theres a bluebird meeting this Saturday at my local WBU, maybe I'll go if I get time.

I looked at the site you mentioned, and many many others, trying to figure out that blackbird.  It looks like grackle, but I'd say its Robin size, and think the eyes are dark too.  The tail is sort of spoon shaped, flares out on the end.  It's taking the mealworms too😡.

I'm starting to get discouraged between these stinking cowbirds and now the B.B leaving. 

Good idea about plugging up the hole on that house.  Yes, its metal,  and I've got to get something to pull out the twigs...no doors on it.  Its strictly ornamental. 

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin  Sounds like you are describing a blackbird.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Brewers_Blackbird/id

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Hi everyone...I just wanted to post back, the bluebirds are back and nesting in the new house I have posted a pic here earlier 😃

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

Hi everyone...I just wanted to post back, the bluebirds are back and nesting in the new house I have posted a pic here earlier 😃

@Dazlin   The metal house or the cedar house?  I fear for the success of the nest if it's the metal house.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack ,  it's the new cedar house I posted pics on this same thread.    

As for the metal house, as we discussed, its strictly ornamental, and I'm taking it out, and plugging the opening...going to move it away tomorrow. 

I'm just soooo thrilled there's so much bluebird activity again. 

I have another cedar house in a different location too, and they're checking out that one too.

@NickNack are you going to get a house for your birds again...I read, you said you didn't have any now??

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin wrote:

@NickNack ,  it's the new cedar house I posted pics on this same thread.    

As for the metal house, as we discussed, its strictly ornamental, and I'm taking it out, and plugging the opening...going to move it away tomorrow. 

I'm just soooo thrilled there's so much bluebird activity again. 

I have another cedar house in a different location too, and they're checking out that one too.

@NickNack are you going to get a house for your birds again...I read, you said you didn't have any now??

@Dazlin   I'm so happy for you!  That's really exciting.  I'm glad they chose the right house this time.

I've still got my bluebird houses, but they're in my garage.  I have no plans to put them out this spring but maybe in later years I'll do it again.  I wish I had taken some pictures when I saw them fledging.  That was before everyone had iPhones, and it wasn't as simple to take pictures.  I would love to have some pictures of that though.  

Are you able to see your houses from inside your home?

Edited to add:  It's also interesting to have birds stay in the houses over the winter.  I had a little downy woodpecker stay in mine a couple of years.  I loved to open the blinds in the morning and see him looking out the opening.

-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

DAZLIN, If i was a bird, i would love to fly over to your place and never leave. I. can tell by just looking at your pictures, that you are kind, and you really care about the birds. You, inspire me to go out and make a change for the better. I love to watch the birds in my little space. Thank you for sharing your wealth of information. Faith, is the bird that feels the light, and sings when the dawn is still dark. Nothing better but to just sit and listen to their song.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin  Yes, the bird at the birdbath is a blackbird. Maybe move your water source away from the bluebird nest? Put it by the potted penta?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼