Respected Contributor

Bluebird house, i just mounted 😃

20200224_161532.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Re: Bluebird house, i just mounted 😃

Hope they enjoy their new home !

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   I like it a lot.  I wish you would get a raccoon or squirrel guard for it though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I put a tray of mealworms out too.
They're working hard on the previous nest house, I posted pics on my other post. Amazing to watch...they were out there all day yesterday filling the house. It's about 1/2 full of twigs. This new one, I mounted today is across near the house, facing east.
So fun!
Respected Contributor

@Nicknack...its mounted on metal conduit...suggested on sialis.org..and many other sites. Let's hope this is sufficient...or I'll be sure to make alterations.
Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack Great idea - I had a raccoon in my pole feeder all winter.  Squirrel baffle didn't keep the raccoon out but the squirrels hit a dead end when going up the pole.  What would you suggest to keep the "R" out - would like your ideas.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

@NickNack Great idea - I had a raccoon in my pole feeder all winter.  Squirrel baffle didn't keep the raccoon out but the squirrels hit a dead end when going up the pole.  What would you suggest to keep the "R" out - would like your ideas.

@fthunt   Wild Birds Unlimited sells raccoon guards as well as squirrel guards.  I have them on my bird feeders.  I don't have bluebird houses anymore, but when I did I had them on poles with raccoon guards.  You attach them a few inches below the bird house.

This is a raccoon baffle.  It's larger than a squirrel guard.  I took this from Wild Birds Unlimited's website.

AF0BCE7B-1A26-4DEF-988A-6F92BDD5345A_4_5005_c.jpeg

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Love the bird house. I just love watching our birds. We had a raccoon on our feeder and my DH greases the pole and it was so funny watching him trying to get up. It worked he split and left us alone the rest of the summer. 🤣

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@godi wrote:

Love the bird house. I just love watching our birds. We had a raccoon on our feeder and my DH greases the pole and it was so funny watching him trying to get up. It worked he split and left us alone the rest of the summer. 🤣

@godi   Greasing the pole isn't a good idea according to wildlife experts.  The birds get against it, and the grease gets in their feathers as well as on the squirrels fur.  They can't get it out and it hinders their flying ability.  

• Grease: Adding grease or oil to a pole or hanger to make it too slippery for squirrels to climb is not only largely ineffective, but it can coat the animals’ fur as well as birds’ feathers. This can cause illness and vulnerability to predators just as much as an oil spill or any similar contamination.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Sounds like, cant win.
Just do your best. Nature takes care of itself. Enjoy and dont let every negative possiblity stop you.