Respected Contributor

I love blue birds and for the last two years we have been so fortunate to have them nesting in the blue bird houses we put up.  This past week, they have been in the yard a lot and even ducking into the bird house.  THey have not built a nest - maybe just going in to get out of the wind?  I am keeping them well supplies with seed and meal worms.  We live in SE VA.  Anyone else enjoying any blue bird activity?

Esteemed Contributor

We don't see a lot of them in New England.  Once in awhile we'll see one on the feeder and it's very exciting!   They always make me think of my late mom as she just adored them Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

We have the mountain blue bird here in New Mexico.  I never see them here in the Albuquerque suburbs but everytime I drive across town to the Sandia Mt. foothills I see them flying around or perched on fenceposts.  Seeing that flash of blue is always a thrill.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@FastDogWalker2   I have two nest boxes, and I've had bluebirds checking them out for a couple of months.  They roost in them at night during the cold winter months.  I'm in East TN, and we have Eastern Bluebirds, the same as you in SE VA.

One winter I had a Downy Woodpecker roost in my bluebird nest box.  It was fun to see him peering out each morning when I opened the blinds.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack That sounds lovely!  We are having an early cold spell so I bet you are right and they are using them for shelter at night.  

Respected Contributor

@FastDogWalker2 , I have 3 houses up...they use 2 for nesting, starting in February,  going through summer.  I've had several hatches and im seeing many sticking around feeding, and checking out the  houses.  I'm in Central Florida, so it's still a bit warm here, but they're returning to the houses, going in and out.  I just love them!   Glad to hear you have them too!!