Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom, you will remember we lost two 50’ spruce trees Christmas Day in a big nor’easter.  The trees caused very little damage except that they took out one side of a Japanese Bloodgood.  

I was out out in the yard this afternoon having a look.  What remains of the tree is all in bud surprisingly.  There was a split in the trunk.  See photos below.  Any observations appreciated.  It looks to me like the tree is doing pretty good in spite of the damage.  Any observations welcome.  LM

Kind of of hard to see the outline on such a gray day.

51B03744-6F91-41F7-8443-EDDEC9DE3B79.jpeg

The trunk.

37C6A096-6856-489F-AE50-90CCCF0D21D2.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: Bloodgood Maple Tree Damage

@Lilysmom wrote:

@JustJazzmom, you will remember we lost two 50’ spruce trees Christmas Day in a big nor’easter.  The trees caused very little damage except that they took out one side of a Japanese Bloodgood.  

I was out out in the yard this afternoon having a look.  What remains of the tree is all in bud surprisingly.  There was a split in the trunk.  See photos below.  Any observations appreciated.  It looks to me like the tree is doing pretty good in spite of the damage.  Any observations welcome.  LM

Kind of of hard to see the outline on such a gray day.

51B03744-6F91-41F7-8443-EDDEC9DE3B79.jpeg

The trunk.

37C6A096-6856-489F-AE50-90CCCF0D21D2.jpeg

@Lilysmom  The trunk may heal itself, and if it is budding, all you can do is wait and see.  Always sad when a tree is taken down or dies.

I have seeds growing under my grow lights, usually I just plant outside, but it has been so cold off and on.

Honored Contributor

I would like to say - I am no expert. When we first bought our house in 1980 there was a maple tree in the back yard. Lightning had stuck the tree. It lost one large branch and it looked like the tree was almost cut in half. The lightning was before we bought the house.

We had a tree guy come out for a number of years. He trimmed the tree and tried to give it some balance and try and even it out. Even though the bark on 1/8th of the tree was gone all the way to the ground, the tree came back and thrived. 

Until this year. My next door neighbor kept complaining. She didn't like that leaves from the tree fell into her pool. So we kept getting the tree trimmed. She would complain again and we would get the tree trimmed again. She was going to keep complaining until we took the tree down. Well, the last trim was too much - the tree is not doing well after all these years. So she will get her wish. 

But for almost 40 years even with the extensive damage the tree thrived.

Honored Contributor

Can I just say, I do not like your neighbor.  My heart is with your tree, @drizzellla

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom  That tree looks surprisingly healthy! Not an arborist by any means, but your picture is much better than ever anticipated following your previous pictures. Those maples are sturdy trees to survive Mother Nature's wrath! Glad it is doing so well.

@drizzellla  I'm saddened to read about the tree that has battled for its' life for 40 years over tree leaves. What a painful day that will be for you. You've been too kind for a very long time. Afraid a tree would have been more important to me than the neighbor! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl, thanks for chiming in!  I kind of feel like you do.  I think the tree might make it.  I love these trees.  I have 7 or 8 throughout the property.  With this exception, they are all doing great.

I started seeds indoors as well.  Marigolds.  I have four large pots going.  I also bought two primula and put them in larger pots.  No way can I put them outside.  It is still so cold.  I have been swimming all winter and am dreaming of warmer weather and dreaming of swimming in the lake🏊‍♂️🏊‍♂️🏊‍♂️!!!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla, that tree really wanted to live!  That is a great story and gives me hope.

I hope your tree does ok.  I hate to see one that old gone.

My largest Bloodgood got hit by a downed limb from a large oak tree that overhangs my yard but belongs to my neighbor.  I lost a huge limb a few years ago (3 maybe).  Today, you wouldn’t know it is gone.  The tree has filled in nicely.  It has also scarred over with no ill affect.  Fingers crossed!  

Thanks for for telling me your story!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady, hoping @drizzellla‘s Neighbor is nicer in other matters.  I love my neighbors Thank God!  I might even ask them if I can shorten one precarious limb on the oak.  The oak is gorgeous and is very old.  We both love it.

@drizzellla, if you do lose your tree, maybe you could try something like a Satomi Dogwood which is gorgeous and doesn’t get as large as maples.  See below.  I have one of these and I love it.  LMAA1F22DC-B482-40E7-845C-C023E1AA3F22.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla I don’t think the trimming caused the premature death of your maple. 40 years is a good long run for a maple. 

@Lilysmom I think the tree with that central crack is healing. It might even be a crack caused by the frost thaws we have had. Though I do know you mentioned it was caused by the heavy snow on it.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom; Your Satomi/Rosabella dogwood is gorgeous! Mine blooms around Memorial Day which is the end of May by us in the US.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼