Valued Contributor

I bought some heirloom tomatoes from the local grocery store and discovered a couple of small black spots inside one of them. The outside looked fine--no hint of any problems, so I was quite surprised to find these two spots inside. I've tried looking up what caused them and whether or not the tomato would still be safe to eat after cutting those spots out. Can't seem to determine if it's safe or not. Seems like if the spots are internal BER, the tomato would still be safe to eat. However, if what I found was mold, it wouldn't be. At least, that's my understanding. I'm sure I have it all wrong. Could anyone help me figure out if I can go ahead and eat it? I'd hate to throw it away and waste it. After all, there were just two small areas. Rest of tomato looked fine. Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Black spots inside tomato?

I've seen grocery store heirloom tomatoes with imperfections on the skin and the inside is fine, but never the other way around. The black spots on the inside would be a deterrent to meeting the tomatoes. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just cut those out and eat them  =no big deal..............

Esteemed Contributor

@qualityshopper 

Just cut out the spots.  They're fine to eat. 👍😃❤️

Valued Contributor

Thanks eveyone. That's what I decided to do, cut out the spots and go ahead and eat them. Costs too much to waste!