Honored Contributor

Black oil sunflower seeds for birds

I just ordered 40pound bags ,from walmart for $17.76 each.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Black oil sunflower seeds for birds

@goldensrbest  Thanks for that. I finally have a squirrel-proof bird feeder and go through a lot of sunflower seeds. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

I buy the ones without shells and mix a handful in the rest of the seeds. Seems to attract alot of Cardinals for me.
Trusted Contributor

That's a good price. Right now is the transition time. Not as many birds this time of they year. At some times of the year, they go through that stuff like crazy.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

The sunflower seeds are high in fat & the birds eat them so they can survive thru the night in the cold winter. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

We used to have a farm supply store here called Agway, and they would have preseason truckload sales on bird seed where you'd order it in advance and a truck would deliver it to their store for pickup on a specific day. A fifty-pound bag of sunflower seeds used to sell for $7.99 if you bought it on their truckload sale and I'd buy five or six bags of the sunflower seeds and also some bags of their mixed seed. Their sale prices were amazing, almost half off. They'd have several full-sized semi-trailers in their parking lot and a line of cars and pickups waiting for the seed. They sold literal tons of seed on those sales.

Our local Agway stores (one in Salem, one in Woodstown) went out but there are oddly enough some in North Jersey and other parts of the Northeast that are still open. I don't know if they still have their truckload sales or not, but if they do, and you live near one of their remaining stores, you might want to check them out. They also used to do truckload sales of frozen items that were very good.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Be careful where you place your feeder.  Birds discard the hulls of sunflower seeds and they end up scattered all over the ground.  The hulls contain a toxin that can inhibit the growth and / or kill some plants.  That's one of the reasons I gave up placing feeders in my gardens - plants in their vicinity were disappearing and holly bushes were declining.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Be careful where you place your feeder.  Birds discard the hulls of sunflower seeds and they end up scattered all over the ground.  The hulls contain a toxin that can inhibit the growth and / or kill some plants.  That's one of the reasons I gave up placing feeders in my gardens - plants in their vicinity were disappearing and holly bushes were declining.

It's called the allelopathic effect. Even peanut pieces also have this effect on plants. Many nut plants do. I moved a small tricyrtis to about 6" away from the peanut pieces feeder & this year it bloomed. It's smaller in size than the other tricyrtis & I think it's because of that effect.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Regular Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I just ordered 40pound bags ,from walmart for $17.76 each.

I go through 40lbs every two weeks and WalMart is my go to.  I have been doing pick up ordering since Covid and one of the unexpected upsides of that is having someone else lug that big bag out and put it in your car.  😀