Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest , I think the same about the safflower seeds...I just offered it as some suggested to help keep the cowbirds away, but what I'm seeing is the more variety of different seeds, also contains sunflower,  and I offer mealworms too,  attracts a nice variety of birds.  I'm getting at least 6 to 7 different types of beautiful birds here.  However, if those horrid cowbirds return next year, I'll do the safflower and thistle, and if necessary I'll take down the feeders for a few days...so hated to do that.  I'm getting alot of Cardinals,  and I felt so bad when they came looking for the seeds.  But they're back with everyone else 😃.

Honored Contributor

We have 3 suet cake holders hanging outside the window in the family room and we like to watch all the different birds.

Today the middle holder is empty and there were 2 black birds on the holders that still had suet in them. Along came a downy woodpecker and he chased a black bird off the suet holder. We were surprised. The downy woodpecker is smaller than the black bird but guess he has more spunk.

Esteemed Contributor

We just tolerate whatever comes by, they all have to eat. Just saying.

Honored Contributor

@Ladylaughsalot  Offer dried fruit in a separate area to the mockingbird such as raisins or currants. No guarantees that you might not get other critters trying to eat the fruit.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Black birds

[ Edited ]

For the small birds like chickadees, blue birds, wrens, nuthatches, etc., you might trying buying a blue bird caged feeder. Duncraft.com has them, and only the small birds can get into it. I call them blue bird feeders because there is a glass cup in the center for dried mealy worms, but I also sprinkle seed all around the rest of the feeder. They also have the feeders designed for small birds without the cup. My small birds love that feeder because they're the only ones who can get into it, and I'm sure they feel safe.

For the larger birds (cardinals), I bought several squirrel proof feeders (from Duncraft) where the feeding ports close when any type of weight (squirrels, black birds) try to get the seed. They are squirrel proof - honest! I've found it's important to discontinue using any type of open platform feeder, because they are the type that the larger birds will use.

We put out some shelled corn for our deer and the squirrels sit in the metal bin and munch away all day long. Yes, they still try to get into the suet cakes once in awhile, but I can usually chase them away for a little while.

We only get the blasted black birds in the spring and fall (for the most part), and I agree that loud noises are usually successful in chasing them away.

Hope some of these suggestions might work for you.

Super Contributor

I have all kinds of birds eating from the feeder outside my office window, including gold finches, many different song birds, doves, blue jays and crows. I also have chipmunks and squirrels that climb up the pole for a munch. I can't imagine trying to discourage anybody. They do have an occasional squabble, but they work it out amongst themselves and I love them all. The crows seem to like it when I talk with them through my window in the afternoon.

I use waste free bird seed so they even clean up after themselves...

Honored Contributor

The safflower seed,has not  stopped the black birds.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I have 2 big blackbirds thast show up every day. I throw out a piece of bread and they take that and leave.....

Every Spring I get Grackles....but they only want the suet....so I take that  away for about a week and then I don't see those anymore.

Good Luck...it is frustrating to see them completely empty the feeders and the little ones have nothing.