Honored Contributor

Re: Bird nest in my door wreath !!

It happened to us some years ago with a wreath my mom and I made when I lived in Texas. It had bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush in it and was a beautiful arrangement she designed. Since she passed away less than a year after we moved up north, I treasured it. Once we discovered the nest there were eggs already in it. I was so worried. I put a big sign up telling everyone not to use the front door but come around back. Then I worried they would fall once they hatched and/or something would get them, as happened to us once before. They hatched, mamma bird taught them how to fly and eventually they left. My wreath was ruined, as others here have experienced too. That was what hurt the most. But we had to throw it out. 

A few years ago I saw a bird hanging around and started noticing nest materials in our wreath. I brought it in! We have plenty of trees and bushes, and DH has turned our backyard into a bird village paradise. They can raise their families there!  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

This happens to me constantly! We are surrounded by woods but there are other homes in our area. I have birdhouses in the pine trees but the birds are always building their nests in my door wreaths and the plnaters on the porch posts. I have an expensive carved oak door so I really don't want them on it. I started to change the type of wreath that  I place on the front door---no grapevine, twig style. So far the willow seems to be working. I then placed a woven basket style wreath on one of the porch posts to encourage them to that location. That seems to be helping. We had two sets of bird families fighting over that spot. I've had too many birds getting into the house when someone opens the front door. It's a mess. We like the birds and especially if we can see them nesting ---just not on the front door. If this doesn't work then I will just eliminate the door wreath. 

Respected Contributor

I no longer put out wreaths or other types of decor on our exterior doors or entrance areas during the spring/summer because of the robins or wrens nest making.  I love wild life and try and give them a break whenever I can, but at some point I have to draw the line.  I have two acres of trees surrounding my home, therefore they have ample areas for nest building.  Once they have selected your home to nest, it is very difficult to deter them for years to come.

The front of my house is almost all glass.  I just had my windows cleaned two months ago, they now look like they haven't been cleaned as the nesting robin have been attacking them.  I put out bird deterrents but they just go to other windows on the sides of the house.  There is bird poo splattered on the outside window sills and other surfaces.

There was an incident years ago that freaked me out.  I always purchased a live wreath during Christmas.  Come March I would rehang the wreath under our deck beside a door that opens into our garage.  The wreaths as they dry are so fragrant.  But anyway....a bird built a nest on top of the wreath.  One day I noticed that a snake had somehow made it up the brick and was on top of the wreath making its way to the nest to get the eggs.  Well I don't do snakes, so needless to say, that ended that practice.

Trusted Contributor

Such a blessing from Mother Nature. ♥

Contributor

I have the same problem every year.  The brds pick things off my wreath and make a horrible mess., pooping on everythink.I chase them away, but the are persistant little things. I usually take mine off the door until they are finished nesting.

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoyed reading all your posts regarding our bird nest😺.  I really do think of this as a blessing!   We will keep it as is Till the babies are born and leave the nest.  Don't have the heart to take it off at this point .  Will throw the wreath out after ,  it's a very pretty VPH wreath ,  but It can be replaced.  I love Gods creatures and it warms my heart to know that these little creatures will have a safe place to be born 

🐣

Respected Contributor

I've never had birds build a nest in a wreath but I must check my hanging baskets every day to make sure no one is making a home in them.  I do cut plastic drinking straws in half and stick  a lot of them in the baskets.  The birds do not like them but occasionally I'll see one trying to remove a straw.

Esteemed Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

This happens to me constantly! We are surrounded by woods but there are other homes in our area. I have birdhouses in the pine trees but the birds are always building their nests in my door wreaths and the plnaters on the porch posts. I have an expensive carved oak door so I really don't want them on it. I started to change the type of wreath that  I place on the front door---no grapevine, twig style. So far the willow seems to be working. I then placed a woven basket style wreath on one of the porch posts to encourage them to that location. That seems to be helping. We had two sets of bird families fighting over that spot. I've had too many birds getting into the house when someone opens the front door. It's a mess. We like the birds and especially if we can see them nesting ---just not on the front door. If this doesn't work then I will just eliminate the door wreath. 

@Fressa  Funny you write this as we are also surrounded by woods and have many birdhouse available for birds to nest in.It must be this mommy bird feels this spot is safer I guess.

Esteemed Contributor

just an update .... I guess this mommy bird was working on this nest way before a few days ago and we just didn't notice .    Babies are chirping away now in the nest !!   Can't see them as our door is not clear glass ,  it has design on it and some frosted glass as well.    I can see the mom pretty clear where she is located has some clear glass .   I dont know what kind of bird she is ,  she is small,  grey , and a red breast ,  but not a Robin.    This is so awesome.  😺.  Hsve to inform friends and family not to come to the front door,  they usually dont but want to make sure.  I wonder how long before the babies fly away ?  Anyone know ?   

Honored Contributor

Could it be a house finch?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼