Respected Contributor

Re: Bird collecting nesting material 🕊🌿

And now, if they are building a nest where you don’t want one for whatever reason, try crumpling up a piece of aluminum foil and placing it there.  We had a robin nest starting right as you come into the house ( evergreen tree ).

They relocated to a more appropriate spot.  The silver foil is still there two years later.

Also, if you have a light fixture by your door, try crumpling up a large plastic bag of the same color as your wall and placing it between the wall and back side of the light.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Valued Contributor

@GingerPeach     Great pictures,  thanks for posting!

I have a suet feeder with two compartments within an anti-squirrel cage.   

One  side is where I place the suet cake and the other is where I place pet hair for nest building.   The birds love it and I can observe them.  This is all near the bird feeder and bird bath, it is a very busy area in the garden. <G>.   

Keep Calm and Bird On, 

CAT

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @gacat123  That's so kind of you to say.  I am absolutely birding on!

Also, and to @piperbay , the birds were taking bits of these fibrous hanging baskets.  They're very popular this year! I thought you might like to know.

I am happy and honored to have birds and their nests.  I have never seen it as a problem.  As a matter of fact, I plant for the benefit of birds and am a member of the Audubon Society.

DSCN0312 (3).JPG

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I leave my dogs hair for them ,they like that.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

We had a bird on our deck for two days. Saw his shadow in the slider and kept flying into the door. The second day my husband put a large owl in front of the door. Finally he stopped. This was a first.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach 

Such a great photo!  Thanks for posting.

The Angel Wing Begonia is beautiful, never seen one with such vivid blossoms.  Wish we could exchange cuttings.

As others have mentioned, we brush the dogs, and put the soft, warm fur in an extra suet feeder.  Labrador is ‘blowing’ his coat this time of year, plenty to share!

Love to think of the doggie fur up in the trees welcoming new birdies.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@GingerPeach 

Such a great photo!  Thanks for posting.

The Angel Wing Begonia is beautiful, never seen one with such vivid blossoms.  Wish we could exchange cuttings.

As others have mentioned, we brush the dogs, and put the soft, warm fur in an extra suet feeder.  Labrador is ‘blowing’ his coat this time of year, plenty to share!

Love to think of the doggie fur up in the trees welcoming new birdies.  

I love that thought, @Drythe 

Here's a better shot of another angel wing begonia in a different spot so you can see the bloom better.  It's in front of the tea tree in flower:

p.s.  The angel wing roots so easily it would be perfect to share as a cutting!  

DSCN0127a.JPG

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I had a robin seeing his reflection in my window and flying into it over and over for about two weeks.  It has finally given up.  That happens frequently for me.  

My worse problem is a woodpecker that somehow pulled wiring off the vent on the second story, pulled a bunch of insulation out and build a next in there. I can hear them from my bedroom closet.  

Trusted Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

And now, if they are building a nest where you don’t want one for whatever reason, try crumpling up a piece of aluminum foil and placing it there.  We had a robin nest starting right as you come into the house ( evergreen tree ).

They relocated to a more appropriate spot.  The silver foil is still there two years later.

Also, if you have a light fixture by your door, try crumpling up a large plastic bag of the same color as your wall and placing it between the wall and back side of the light.

The crumped up aluminium foil really did the trick, we have a rolling gate and it's good for now, the birds moved on.