Honored Contributor

The screened porch was finally finished in time for TheSummerwe'dallprefertoforget and DH and I have been having wonderful lunches and dinners out there, but there's a little space about as big as a chocolate bar and apparently gaining entrance is part f the 2020 Bird Olympics, and EVERYBODY WANTS TO COME IN. 

I have thereby become the House Bird Herder, and when I went out today to set the table, this poor little guy was flailing around diagonally across from his only exit, so it becomes MY JOB to open the sliding door and usher him through.

Happily, this morning was easy; some are a whole lot harder. They get SO FRIGHTENED, and I in turn am so afraid I'll hurt them or they'll be scared to death.

No fatalities so far, and today's exit was fairly slick for both Bird and Herder.

Honored Contributor

@violann    Better plug up the chocolate bar space.  Make life easy for yourself and safer for the birdies.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Bats could get in, too....ugh!

Hopefully you can find a way to patch the opening.  Enjoy your new space...it sounds wonderful!

Respected Contributor

@violann 

So kind of you to show love and treat the intruders with a nice big dose of HUMANE!

Try using steel wool to fix the chocolate bar-sized entrance. It should work. 

Honored Contributor

@MoonieBaby   If it's at all exposed to the outside, steel wool would rust badly and make a terrible stain.  I might use some canned foam insulation.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Screened is such a nice porch.  But that hole has to go.  Mice, baby squirrels, toads, more just nasty things....

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

You are EXACTLY right, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe a bit of foam is better.