Honored Contributor

I set up a bird bath about a week and a half ago.  It attaches to my deck and has about an inch of water in it, which I read online was the amount to use.  I put a few pebbles in it for the birds to stand on.  I do have a bird feeder in the same area.

I haven't seen any birds using it, but I don't see it all the time.  I used to have a different bird bath attached to my deck that was used all the time.  I'm not sure what I should do to attract them.  I was thinking about getting a water wiggler.  Does anyone have a water wiggler and think it helps?  It's run by batteries and causes a ripple in the water. 

I'm attaching a picture of the bird bath and the water wiggler.

80FD2180-9309-42D9-9736-6F5165D3B512_4_5005_c.jpeg4AC89365-9762-4879-962A-2A799A2E7062.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack   Birds are attracted by the sound of water dripping or running.  However, your birdbath is new and strange.  Give it time and they're bound to come around.  As soon as one adventurous soul uses it, they'll all dive in. They may be using it and you just don't see them. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I haven't used a "wiggler" but I'll bet if you just keep it out and keep it refreshed, they'll come.

I've noticed a change in bird populations right now, for many reasons.

However, my two little birdbaths are dry all the time - they sip, they bathe, they themselves "wiggle"!  In fact I just filled mine.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I would love to have a birdbath but since I do not have dogs anymore the neighborhood cats have taken a liking to visiting my backyard.  I would feel like I was attracting birds for the cats!

Honored Contributor

I would give it more time; it takes them some time to discover it.

I have a stone birdbath that's low to the ground, say, only 12" tall.  It gets a lot of activity in the Spring and early-Summer and then nothing.  It's been like that for several years and I have no idea why.

Esteemed Contributor

It is nice of you to make the effort.  Birds need water year round and like others said they will most likely find it and start using it.   Be sure it's not near too busy of a spot as if they don't feel secure they will not come.  Same goes for feeders, they should be close to the trees if possible.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

I use a water wiggler in my make-shift bird bath and get a lot of activity! So much so, that I have to replenish the water a couple of times a day.  Sometimes there are as many as 6 or 7 birds at a time splashing around, while others are waiting nearby for their turn!  It's such fun to watch them!!!!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I set up a bird bath about a week and a half ago.  It attaches to my deck and has about an inch of water in it, which I read online was the amount to use.  I put a few pebbles in it for the birds to stand on.  I do have a bird feeder in the same area.

I haven't seen any birds using it, but I don't see it all the time.  I used to have a different bird bath attached to my deck that was used all the time.  I'm not sure what I should do to attract them.  I was thinking about getting a water wiggler.  Does anyone have a water wiggler and think it helps?  It's run by batteries and causes a ripple in the water. 

I'm attaching a picture of the bird bath and the water wiggler.

80FD2180-9309-42D9-9736-6F5165D3B512_4_5005_c.jpeg4AC89365-9762-4879-962A-2A799A2E7062.jpeg

@NickNack   Birds here seem to use a birdbath in the early evening or after.  I was out yesterday evening near a small birdbath, picked up a pot to move it and my eye caught something, it was a bird sitting in the water taking a bath, so I didn't blink, and finally after I thought it had had enough of a bath, lol, I moved and it flew off, so I know they use it when no one is around.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bird Bath--No Takers

[ Edited ]

Thank you @Kachina624 @Krimpette  @LindaSal @ValuSkr @DiAnne @Sweetbay magnolia @mousiegirl 

I appreciate your replies.  I will definitely give it more time.  I may go ahead and order a Water Wiggler.  I think the birds liked it when I had one in the past.  

LindaSal, the bird bath is in a quiet place on my deck railing.  It's almost under a tree.  I had one in the same place about five years ago that they used.  The bird feeder is nearby, and I've had the bird feeder set-up in the same place kind of between two trees for probably 20 years.  They do use it all the time.

I've seen a little Carolina Wren that visits me year round sitting right next to the bird bath but haven't seen him use it.  He hangs around the deck a lot.  I need to just stand there and watch and see if any of the birds ever use it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bird Bath--No Takers

[ Edited ]

@NickNack , Carolina Wren is the sweetest bird out there!  Love their little egg shape.

I would probably have a "wiggler" but my current bird baths are too far from a power source.

There's been a ton of development around me and I am sad to say, it has had an impact on the birds.  Still, I try to provide habitat and to help populations re-establish.  I hope I am making a difference because the whole thing is very depressing.  There's no replacing what has been lost.

Keep that water source out there.. They'll need it.

Edit:  the cardinals seem to be the biggest users of my bird baths.  They have survived this horrible bird disease that has taken out many - the hordes of blue jays have all but disappeared and there were many weird sightings of sick birds, ripe for predators because they were weak.

Cogito ergo sum