Super Contributor

Re: Best flowers for Hanging Basket

@pattypeep   Yes, they like some, but not total, shade.  I have them on my deck under a gazebo which has shade cloth on the top and one side (70% shade cloth, I think).  They do get some morning sun from the open side.

I had never heard of this plant either until several years ago when I went on a garden tour with the local botanical garden and these were at one of the homes we visited.  After that I searched them out and have used them in my hanging baskets ever since.

Respected Contributor

I'd go with geraniums. So many types and a tip...

Keep Geraniums Blooming

Geraniums bloom best when somewhat root-bound, so repot geraniums in larger containers only when necessary, and use a container only one size bigger than the previous container. This is so true. The longer they are in a pot or window box the better they get.

Esteemed Contributor

It depends on whether you are hanging those flowers in shade/partial shade or an area with a lot of sun. As others have mentioned, it's sort of late to be planting flowers unless you live in an area that doesn't have true fall weather. If the area is shady, I go with impatiens or begonias as the main flower. If it's sunny, then I'd go with verbenum, wave petunias, flowing geraniums, etc. It's sort of hard to recommend anything since your locale, weather, etc may be much different in NC than what I experience in the midwest.

Respected Contributor

I'm deep south in NC - almost in SC actually, near the border.  Hurricane territory.  Lately anyway.  My zone is 8a.

I'm liking the sound of these flowing geraniums, but yes, its probably too late for this now.  The area I wanted them for is sunny in the mornings/early afternoon, and then shady later in the day.  Even though it faces West, I have a building right next door which provides some shade relief.

Will probably wait til the pansies come out.  Pansies will last all winter down here and well into the spring.  Although they are not hangers or very flowy at least they are colorful, unless I see what else the home store has to offer.  I don't want any more mums.  They get root bound real quick here although they sure are pretty when they are in bloom.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Valued Contributor

If you have a Lowe's or HomeDepot near you, you might want to see if they have any outdoor plants left - wave petunias are good for hanging planters and will bloom for a while down your way.