Esteemed Contributor

Hi!  

I've been trying to have a lawn redone.  Been waiting for the landscaper to contact me and now it seems like he planning to plant sod in June.  I live in MA and always thought the best time to plant grass was no later than May in the Spring or by October in the fall.

So, I'm thinking of cancelling if he now plans to put this job off until June.

Can anyone advise me on this?  Thanx!

Honored Contributor

Re: Best Time To Plant Grass

[ Edited ]

You have more of a chance of disturbing weed seeds if going the grass seed way but sod in June will be okay provided, you keep it watered 4X/day until you start to see it take. I had some areas resodded by me in late summer, (August) & set up the UGS to go on for 15 minutes/4X/day for about 2 weeks — spaced out at say 7AM, 12PM, 4PM & 7PM. The last time was programmed into the sprinkler clock to give grass blades time to dry out before the dewy nightfall. My clock has an A, B & C program. A is my usual odd day default. The B & C are set up if needed, to go on for even numbered & odd numbered days. We go by address numbers here for automatic watering. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I live in a neighborhood where all the homeowners needed to put a lawn in.  I've seen it done from May to Nov.  I thought Nov was too late since we sometimes get snow then, but it turned out ok.  I had my lawn put in mid May.  I don't think June is too late, but that would depend if your area gets water restrictions in the summer.

Honored Contributor

My DH put in a new walkway from the driveway to the front door last summer.  It was a big project and we had an area about 32 ft by 15 feet that was tore up.

We opted to seed rather than sod.  It looked awful for a while since we waited until after Labor Day to plant.  We are not home often in the summer and knew we couldn’t water it while not home.

My neighbors put in a new wider driveway and both sides of it needed seeded too.

Our lawn came in super fast and my neighbors did not. They hopefully, will replant this year.  The secret is water.  It doesn’t matter if you use seed or sod, but you must not let it dry out.  

I think seed requires more water. If the seed is allowed to get dry, it will die. We had to water three times a day.

You can resod now or in June or any other time up to a few weeks before the first frost, but you will use more water and have to keep up with it more often during the hot months.

Yesterday, we patched a few small spots in our lawn with seed again.  We want to get it planted before the heat sets in and before we go away for the summer.

Another neighbor did the same.  He had a grub problem and boy did the skunks tear up his beautiful lawn.  He also planted seed.

Best of luck to you. It will look beautiful when finished.  I am sure your landscaper would not waste his time planting sod if he felt it would not take.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the advice.  If he doesn't do it in May. I'll reschedule for fall.  I will be using sod:  it's a combination of sandbox for Eddy (he's a digger - will bury balls to get him used to it; floower beds, some kind of slate or something for table/sitting area; then the grass.  It's just Eddy's yard so there won't be a large amount of grass.  Since I have an artesian well, I don't want to be watering four or more times a day.  This part of the yard gets sunrive in the morning, sunset in the evening and sun all day, facing south.  So, sounds like I'd be watering all the time!Woman LOL

This is a new landscaper 'cause the other one sold his business to him.  We've discussed this yard in February, so I find it inexcusable not to have begun the project by now!  Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait and see how this new guy works out!Woman Frustrated

Thank you for all the advice!

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't wait - I would get another landscaper and give  ( you)  him a start date - fire the slow one.  These guys load up on jobs and delay delay delay some of the customers.

Honored Contributor

Are you doing sod or seed?  The best time for seed in the Northeast is Fall: the ground is warm, so growth will be facilitated, and you'll get a fair amount of rain, so you won't have to water as much.  As far as sod goes, you can probably install it anytime, but more watering will likely be required in Summer.

Esteemed Contributor

Looks like you're in an area for cool season grasses.

Since sod is already rooted, sometime in June is fine.

Mid to late May for growing from seed.

Seeding in late summer/early fall only works if you have no deciduous trees in the area. A daily blanket of falling leaves is disastrous on freshly prepped, graded, seeded soil.

Esteemed Contributor

Already signed for lawn maintenance.  This was something extra that we verbally agreed to.  Could hire someone else for dog's yard, but might be difficult.  Will tell him to schedule me for Sept if he does not do it in next two weeks - definitely want done before Memorial Day.  

Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Are you doing sod or seed?  The best time for seed in the Northeast is Fall: the ground is warm, so growth will be facilitated, and you'll get a fair amount of rain, so you won't have to water as much.  As far as sod goes, you can probably install it anytime, but more watering will likely be required in Summer.

Sod.  But, don't want it done in hot weather.  If not done within next two weeks will wait 'til fall.