Super Contributor

Could anyone please recommend the best online retailer to purchase outdoor plants/bulbs/flowers from based on your experience?

Breck's is hit or miss with me. I've had some success with qvc but would rather turn to the gardening experts themselves that do this 24/7/365.

I must have deer/rabbit resistant plants!

Much appreciated!

Honored Contributor

Re: Best Online Plant Nursery??

I like Bluestone Perennials.  I don't know about bulbs though.  I never grow them.

Honored Contributor

You had many more options forty or so years ago. There's been a lot of consolidation in the mail-order gardening world since then. Corporations have bought up many of the old mom/pop-type companies and even though they still sell under their old name, they're often selling the same stock as everyone else from the same wholesalers.

Dave's Garden website has "The Garden Watchdog" that gives ratings for 8,000+ companies from users of those companies. It's a good place to look for information on anything garden-related.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Posh Poodle   PlantDelights.com  -  best online for THE BEST PLANTS EVER.  

This group is a fun group with a fun website, catalog and a new teeshirt replicating the front cover on their catalog each year. 

Yes they're fun but what about their plants ie what they sell, offerings of plants you'll not find at many others places online elsewhere or in stores. Because of this I will tell you now, you'll find their prices high or somewhat high, but they stand behind their guanartees. 

Their packaging to protect their plant babies is inpeccable, it will blow you away. The s/h is pricey all in their effort to get their materials to you exactly as they left their growing site. 

Most importantly, their plants won't fail you unless you know absolutely nothing about plants, where to plant them, how to plant, and how to care for them. Plant Delights will never sell you anything that won't grow for you.

If you're looking for great varieties of veggies, we go to either Johnny's or Baker's Heirloom Seeds. Again, offers in their catelogs and online like you've never seen. 

Enjoy your growing seasons, these are three of the very best you will ever find. Get Growing!!!!!!!!

Super Contributor

Thank you for offering your experiences with the never-ending gardening issue @PINKdogWOOD  @gardenman and @Icegoddess 

I visited the garden watch dog @gardenman  and saw that the bluestone perennials @Icegoddess makes their list!

Went to the bluestone website and really liked what they have to offer, watching the video on how they place their plants in the biodegradeable "coconut" pots. Bluestone also takes great care in the shipping of the plants. I don't think they could have made it easier for me to stick the suckers in the ground. Plus, there's alreay plants growing in their pots, which is instant gratification for me!

Appreciate all your input!

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD , I used to like Plant Delights, but they have changed their shipping to a flat rate per 6 pack vs weight such that you only get a decent rate ($8/per item) if you buy 6 items.  They do pack them nicely though.  But, I also think that once you reach the 6 items, it starts over again.  So, if you get just 1 more item, the shipping for 7 items is ridiculously expensive at a per-item rate.  

Trusted Contributor

Jung's has been around for years.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess   You're correct, they have revamped their shipping costs. My husband talks about this as he's making out his very long wish list. Flip side though, when Plant Delights ships, their products inside have not moved or shifted not one inch. We certainly appreciate this for what we spend for the eventual lovlies we just planted.

Respected Contributor

I just checked out the Plant Delights website. The cost to ship to my state is $75. No thanks, I'll stick with my local nursery. 

Honored Contributor

I used to be a big fan of Logee's Greenhouses for houseplants, but my last order disappointed in multiple ways. I ordered a crossandra, a sambac jasmine, and two streptocarpus. The crossandra and one of the streptocarpus were fine. The jasmine came with red spider mites. Not a huge problem as I can deal with them, but they shouldn't ship a plant with them. The leaf discoloration from the spider mites and the webbing was pretty obvious. The one streptocarpus had a dead center. The two leaves were still green, but with the growth coming from the center, a dead center means the plant is dead it just doesn't look that way yet, and sure enough it's now fully dead.

Maybe I just got a bad plant picker that day. Maybe their stock was low and they just shipped what they had. I don't know, but I paid a premium price and got subpar merchandise. The good news is I ended up with three now healthy plants that I wanted. But in the future, I may opt for sellers on Etsy instead. I don't think they'd be much worse than what I got through Logees. I've bought plants from Logees for as long as I can remember, but this last order just wasn't good. It wasn't up to the standard I expect at that price point.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!