Honored Contributor

Re: Began planting annuals and OH MY ...

@kate2357 ---hi there--I live near Molbaks in Woodinville and they are way to pricy to do much buying and then too, their selections has been just awful these past couple years---I go to Haggen to get my very few plants. I don't have a yard just a balcony so not much room for much. Herbs will be my thing this year---

Esteemed Contributor

I usually got 10 hanging baskets for the front of the house and back deck and yard.

I only got 2 this year.....

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@kate2357 ---hi there--I live near Molbaks in Woodinville and they are way to pricy to do much buying and then too, their selections has been just awful these past couple years---I go to Haggen to get my very few plants. I don't have a yard just a balcony so not much room for much. Herbs will be my thing this year---

@wagirl 

Had a friend who lived out in Woodinville, she had a horse property and stabled horses and I would stop at Molbaks from time to time. They are a fun place to shop ... but you're right, very pricey. Haggen stores do have nice selections, I just don't have one near me anymore. This year it seems like Fred Myer's has the better selection.

I grow herbs all year long and just love having fresh herbs to cook with. Good luck w/ your PNW garden. This is my favorite time of year.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I usually got 10 hanging baskets for the front of the house and back deck and yard.

I only got 2 this year.....

I hear ya. I'm doing my own hanging baskets this year. I'm assuming my boys will each buy me one, so at least I will have two full looking ones in May. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I write down a list each year of what type/number of plants I purchased to use as a guide as to what I need for the next year.

My bill from 2020 was $140.  My bill for 2021 was $169.  I'm thinking it'll probably be $200 this year.  So far our weather here (Illinois) has not been too good.  I purchased spikes - 10 at $1.99 each yesterday.  Hoping to get out this weekend and purchase majority of my plants.  

I always purchase 4 large diplidenia plants from Home Depot.  When I started purchasing them about 4 years ago they were about $18.99 each, last year they were $22.98 each.  So, they'be been going up about $1 each year - I bet this year the increase with probably be larger.  So just for 4 plants, it costs about $100.  

At work this year, for my anniversary I received a $50 Home Depot gift card, so I've been saving it for planting season.  Also, I do E-Rewards (you do surveys on-line )and you earn points for each that you complete).  I earned twice this year $25 from them.  So I do have enough gift cards to cover my dipledenia plants - hooray.

I also plant alot of marigolds and zinna plants from seeds.  I use the seeds from the prior years plants so at least that does not cost me anything and they usually do very well.

Gosh, I remember when I was young you could get a package of 6-8 plants for about $1.00.  Those were the good ol days!!!

Honored Contributor

@kate2357   I'm interested in using Irish Spring bar soap (original scent) to deter squirrels.  Do you grate it, then sprinkle around?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

@kate2357   I'm interested in using Irish Spring bar soap (original scent) to deter squirrels.  Do you grate it, then sprinkle around?

@ValuSkr 

I took a knife I use in the garden and cut/slice into the bar and it broke up on it's own into smaller pcs. I put the pcs in the dustpan I use in the yard and sprinkled the irish spring close to the plants. I don't know how often I will have to do this or if it will even work. But Irish Spring is such a strong smelling soap, I figured the smell would linger for awhile, even after rain/watering. I wanted to try this first before buying/using the more smelly deterrent.