Valued Contributor

Re: Bees hanging out on my Railing

they have nest around you

Honored Contributor

Don't kill bees , sometimes if the temperature drops ,you will see them  together.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I am so afraid of yellow jackets.  My neighbor was push mowing in an area of her yard with lots of shrubs and she ran over a nest, was stung multiple times. Since she was allergic it about killed her before we could treat her.  I think noise really aggravates the yellow jackets.  Be very careful if that's what you are dealing with.

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

These are yellow jackets.  All I want to do is remove my planter so I will go out tonight.

@Katcat1  -  We had a HUGE yellow jacket nest in the ground, near a front sidewalk.  My husband bought some yellow jacket spray, went out a night (when colony is back in the hive) and sprayed all the openings.  Thankfully, we haven't have any more problems. 

Honored Contributor

@IlliniGirl88,  I had no idea that they there nest would be in the ground.  I believe they were hanging on to part of the vine and iron rail in the sun trying to keep warm.  Our temperature did drop for a while.  Now we are suppose to go up to high 80's and low 90's the next 3 days -- yuck.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

@IlliniGirl88,  I had no idea that they there nest would be in the ground.  I believe they were hanging on to part of the vine and iron rail in the sun trying to keep warm.  Our temperature did drop for a while.  Now we are suppose to go up to high 80's and low 90's the next 3 days -- yuck.

@Katcat1  -  I guess it depends on where you live, but I'm in the Southeast, and our nest was in the ground.  I think they also build nests in structures, but all the yellow jacket nests I've seen are in the ground.  You have to look for nests when mowing and doing yardwork, or you could get stung.  We kept seeing lots of yellow jackets around our mailbox, pulled back the pinestraw under the trees, and there were so many entries into their nest!  We observed them going in and out, but we did get rid of them.  Just make sure to treat the nest at night.  Hope you get rid of them, but be careful!

Honored Contributor

Yes, wait till dusk when all yellow jackets are inside their nest. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest,  I don't plan on killing them but they will die.  I recently read all about them.  They are yellow jackets.  They were trying to keep warm and all together on the iron railing in the sun (I face south).  I am waiting to take my last planter down because I don't want to get stung again.  Yellow jackets are mean.  From what I read sometimes regular bees will live in they go back to the hive.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

The workers die but the fertilized queen goes into hibernation.

https://www.orkin.com/stinging-pests/yellow-jackets/yellow-jacket-life-cycle/

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼