Honored Contributor

Bees hanging out on my Railing

I have a deck and the railing is iron but it meets a wooden post and I have a planter hanging on post around the corner from the railing.  The ivy from the planter blows in the wind and ends up on the railing by the post.  The bees are hanging out there and today there was about 20 of them.  I am not sure what the attraction is.  I was afraid to water the planter.  Hopefully, they will go dormant soon.  HeartCat Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Re: Bees hanging out on my Railing

You may have a nest near, please be careful.

Honored Contributor

Might be bigger problem than that, you might have a hive nearby.  I remember a friend had similar problem and she thought the bees were attracted to a certain flowering bush in her yard.  Turned out that their was big hive under the eaves of her garage.  I have a bee phobia so I don't want to think about it.  I don't want to remember how often I sat in her yard with thousands of bees so close.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Might be bigger problem than that, you might have a hive nearby.  I remember a friend had similar problem and she thought the bees were attracted to a certain flowering bush in her yard.  Turned out that their was big hive under the eaves of her garage.  I have a bee phobia so I don't want to think about it.  I don't want to remember how often I sat in her yard with thousands of bees so close.

@chrystaltree    Same thing happened to me.    The hive was inside the eaves and up under the roof.    Removal was NOT covered by my homeowners insurance, either.    They told me it was considered "vermin infestation"...........and my removal costs were considerable.    Had to have a portion of a tile roof replaced.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

We had bees in every connector of our iron fencing.  Every time we would open our back gate bees would come out.  

You might need an exterminator.

Super Contributor

If you are brave enough go out at night (when it is cooler and the bees go in the hive) and check it out.  Take some bee spray along with and really soak it. Hopefully in the morning most of them will be laying on the ground dead. If you aren't brave, have someone else do it!!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

NO. Don't take spray, don't kill them.

Just call your local beekeeping association to come and have a look if you think there is a hive nearby.

Bees are in short supply right now; bee happy they found something they like to eat. And if you don't aggitate them they will go on their merry bee way and leave you alone.

Edited to add: might they actually be wasps and not bees?

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I have a deck and the railing is iron but it meets a wooden post and I have a planter hanging on post around the corner from the railing.  The ivy from the planter blows in the wind and ends up on the railing by the post.  The bees are hanging out there and today there was about 20 of them.  I am not sure what the attraction is.  I was afraid to water the planter.  Hopefully, they will go dormant soon.  HeartCat Happy

Please do not exterminate honey bees.

A local beekeeper will remove them, probably at no cost you.

Honored Contributor

These are yellow jackets.  All I want to do is remove my planter so I will go out tonight.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

These are yellow jackets.  All I want to do is remove my planter so I will go out tonight.

Yellow jackets are generally ground nesters. Wait until dusk if you see the nest and drench it with an insecticide for wasps. 

The yellow jackets should be all inside the nest at dusk.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼