Respected Contributor

Re: Bee Balm, When to cut it back?

@goldensrbest5 FEET!  That must be Amazing to see in bloom!  Do you chop it right to the ground level or leave a few inches.  Is your plant established?  I'm a bit nervous as this is the first year it's done well and I don't want to muck things up.  Seems like cutting it back is the thing to do though.

Honored Contributor

I planted it last year, did not get as tall as this year, i just left about 4 inches when i cut it down ,it is a hardy plant.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Maybe leave the flowers for the seed heads for certain birds for winter to eat?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Maybe leave the flowers for the seed heads for certain birds for winter to eat?

I totally agree with @JustJazzmom. I leave anything in my garden that has seeds on the top until spring to cut back in order to allow the birds to snack on. Our master gardener mentioned that on a show one day and I thought "of course". You can see the little birds hanging on the plants eating the seeds. I have bird feeders out all year, but the birds seem to enjoy the seeds from nature's plants.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I put all the seed heads in the field next to me.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmomOK.  I'll bundle the stems up and stand them at the back of the garden when I cut it back.  Thanks for the tip!