Respected Contributor

Re: Beautiful Fall Colours in the Garden

@Lilysmom

Glorious!  Reminds me of some of my plants/shrubs in MI.

I also like your garden accents (statues and stepping stones).  You put a lot of love into this garden!

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

@denisemb@PINKdogWOOD@rrpell@Kachina624@OKPrincess et al, right after I took the photos, we had snow showers which have been going off and on all afternoon.  Don't you think mid October is too soon for snow.  Hope we don't see anything of substance for some time yet!

When the leaves and flowers are done, I will enjoy the evergreens which are the backbone of my gardens.  Love them!

Thanks for all the kind comments.  I suppose the next photos I show will have snow.  Not that far away from quilting.  I can feel a woodstove fire coming on!  Happy Fall.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom

A truly spectacular tour!

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom.  Heck, we had a little snow here at the beginning of the week so I wouldn't think it's too early for you.  Lots of snow in our mountains.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, I saw your post about snow.  You live in an interesting place.  If I didn’t hate planes so much, I would think about a trip.  

Another gorgeous Fall morning here.  The bears are very active in the neighbourhood.  Going for the green bins.  I think I will take a walk  today to see the leaves before they go.  LM

Honored Contributor

Beautiful photos of your gardens. Not only are you great at gardening, also awesome photography work. I' in the midwest, it has turned cooler, some leaves changing their color, and starting to see more on the ground. I have everything cut back that should be and am just waiting for leaf cleanup (not a fun job), hoping it isn't cold and snowing when that happens, lol.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

@Snicks1, today I spent 4 1/2 hours in the garden.  I am on a pruning binge. Some of my junipers are so large it’s unbelievable.  I have a friend/neighbour who shapes his in a bonsai theme.  I have started the process with one as it is outgrowing it’s location unless I do something. I don’t Want to remove them.  They are lovely in winter.  It takes years to perfect the shape.

This is what it looks like now.

171E61DB-F52B-4146-A347-399E17FF8CC7.jpeg

This is is what my neighbour’s looks like... he has been trimming for years.  It will take me awhile to get his look.  I like it.  How about you?  Very clean look.

1472951F-2B66-4E65-81DB-16AEA6530340.jpeg

This is is the one I started this afternoon. It is huge...

EE72FA19-7F02-4E2D-9733-EEC64841DB75.jpeg

Two and a half hours later, it looks like this...

028F894B-6F43-4746-A848-22FEB4F9BAE8.jpeg

Apologies for the shadows.  They are everywhere in this fall weather.  Hard to believe that took so long. I removed limbs bigger than me and took the shrub away from other shrubs on every side.  I carried around 8 wheelbarrows of juniper away.  

That’s how I’m keeping myself busy waiting for leaves to fall🙄!  LM

Honored Contributor

That's great. One house I owned had a massively overgrown hedge on the side. I asked my brother-in-law, who knew a lot about bonsai to shape it for me. He did a great job and came back at least once a year to work on it till it had a nice shape. Your's will be beautiful, I'm sure, although it does take time.
I am inside nursing my little dog after surgery, so it's just as well that leaves are mostly still on the trees, as I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving her alone in the house for long periods of time right now.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Junipers are a great evergreen but don’t overprune to bare wood because the needles (their leaves) will not grow back. 

Also when pruning evergreens, try to keep their natural habit rather than into a shape. If you do prune to a shape, prune to an upside down V instead of a V shape. The V shape causes the lower ranches to not get sunlight.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom, great advice.  Thank you.  I especially appreciate the comment about the upside down V prune.  Once winter hits and the garden activity is done.  I will do some more research about pruning.  LM