Trusted Contributor

Re: Bare BUSHES ...after trimming now what???

Well my QVC Garden Family -

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I Learned so much just reading your posting. 

I must admit the landscaper did a great job, I now have fancy square shapes and the bushes that were cone shaped (don't know the names) he cut the bottom branches so they look like triangle trees. 

He did do a good job.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

None of my landscapers speak english but we get along great1  They know i love wild.lol  Last yr ,because i feed birds ,i had a wonderful giant patch of giant sunflowers grow right in front of my house......lol  .I loved them and the  pretty birds they attracted, but sadly a lot of neighbors did not,including my  married son that takes care of my property....lol.

Well I enjoyed them for quite a while ,untill my rascal squrriel got into them and began knocking them over and they began to look awful ,never mind hanging over the public sidewalk  Smiley Sad  So I relented and told them to take them down Smiley Sad

So this yr,we kept a few, and I transplanted a few to my back yard. But what I want to say is...my guys have left what I think is a weed (not sure) a patch of something ,very pretty and 6 ft tall.no flower yet? thingy growing  in front of my house.......lol  I know they are doing it for me.......lol so I have not said anything......i am waiting to see what comes from it.A flower?  nothing? What?...........lol

I do not pay these guys,they do it free because my son was best friends with the owner that passed away,he always called me mom! so they do it free  for me  and I do not complain  ..  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

None of my landscapers speak english but we get along great1  They know i love wild.lol  Last yr ,because i feed birds ,i had a wonderful giant patch of giant sunflowers grow right in front of my house......lol  .I loved them and the  pretty birds they attracted, but sadly a lot of neighbors did not,including my  married son that takes care of my property....lol.

Well I enjoyed them for quite a while ,untill my rascal squrriel got into them and began knocking them over and they began to look awful ,never mind hanging over the public sidewalk  Smiley Sad  So I relented and told them to take them down Smiley Sad

So this yr,we kept a few, and I transplanted a few to my back yard. But what I want to say is...my guys have left what I think is a weed (not sure) a patch of something ,very pretty and 6 ft tall.no flower yet? thingy growing  in front of my house.......lol  I know they are doing it for me.......lol so I have not said anything......i am waiting to see what comes from it.A flower?  nothing? What?...........lol

I do not pay these guys,they do it free because my son was best friends with the owner that passed away,he always called me mom! so they do it free  for me  and I do not complain  ..  Smiley Happy

WOW, you are really blessed to get free landscaping.  It might be nice for you to give them a mcdonalds gift card of something cause I paid quite a few dollars and FREE landscaping is a true blessing.  Just to show a little appreciation so they know you appreciate their efforts.

in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

We cut back some boxwoods severely last year (well, husband did).  they looked absolutely horrible over the winter.  Now are filling in with new growth this summer.  We are taking a wait and see attitude.  Maybe they need to be replaced or they will fill in nicely.  We shall see.  

Honored Contributor

Pruning should be done for the most part so it looks like it’s not too noticeable. Some plants can be rejuvenatively pruned as @2blonde did. 

If they are yews, cedars or junipers, they might not come back & fill in. They are what are termed narrow leafed shrubs. 

Just keep watering well. Maybe give a slow release fertilizer to them — sprinkle to the drip line with the granular fertilizer. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

I must admit the landscaper did a great job, I now have fancy square shapes and the bushes that were cone shaped (don't know the names) he cut the bottom branches so they look like triangle trees. 

He did do a good job.

@Happiness Is Inside JOB

Is that really what you want to live with, square and triangular/cone-shaped plants?  I know some do, but I think landscapers all too often do this as an easy way out.  They just take their giant power shears and start slicing away no matter what kind of plant they have in front of them.

If you know what kind of shrubs they are, you can easily find out how to have them pruned into a natural shape.  That's going to be easier for long term maintenance, and the plant will typically be happier.

Not every plant needs to look like a miniature tree.  Some are supposed to have branches at ground level, such as pittosporum tobira Wheeler's Dwarf.

Image result for pittosporum tobira

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

thank you so much!!!

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

He did do a good job.

@Happiness Is Inside JOB

Is that really what you want to live with, square and triangular/cone-shaped plants?  I know some do, but I think landscapers all too often do this as an easy way out.  They just take their giant power shears and start slicing away no matter what kind of plant they have in front of them.

If you know what kind of shrubs they are, you can easily find out how to have them pruned into a natural shape.  That's going to be easier for long term maintenance, and the plant will typically be happier.

Not every plant needs to look like a miniature tree.  Some are supposed to have branches at ground level, such as pittosporum tobira Wheeler's Dwarf.

Image result for pittosporum tobira

in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

Like others have said...they will fill in and grow back.......