Trusted Contributor

Barbara King sunflower maximillian

I was interested in trying this sunflower in a pot like it was as shown  on air. So many questions. On air Barbara said it was not invasive but I read online it can be. Also if growing in a pot,how many plants to put in the pot.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Barbara King sunflower maximillian

You'll get more accurate information by doing a Google.

I use it constantly - it's my cookbook - history lessons - where I can buy  X

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@webbgarner1 wrote:

I was interested in trying this sunflower in a pot like it was as shown  on air. So many questions. On air Barbara said it was not invasive but I read online it can be. Also if growing in a pot,how many plants to put in the pot.

@webbgarner1   Usually, this is a perennial and grows very tall.  It spreads, and can be divided after a few years if you want more plants, or don't want a large patch.  I would not pot it unless it is a very large pot, and only one plant.  You will eventually have to put it in the ground or toss it.

Image result for sunflower maximillian perennial

Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirl     Thanks !

Honored Contributor

Speaking generally about this plant, I've read that it spreads via the roots, and is also a prolific seed producer.  If you put it in a pot, then no problem with spreading.  But if you plant in the garden, then look out, because it will spread.  It's a wildflower after all - that's what they do.  Barbara's selection may be a specific type of maximilian that's more suitable for growing in the garden; but you'd have to ask her directly.

Trusted Contributor

@fthunt   Yes. I agree. I have found more accurate info online on google from the actual reps on air a lot of times.

Honored Contributor

Unless you really need the height (about 8 feet tall) and are willing to stake it or plant it around shrubs to support it, I'd probably go with something like Heliopsis Summer Sun instead. Heliopsis would have the same size, shape, color, and type of flower, but on a smaller plant with a longer flowering season. Heliopsis (at least in my experience) isn't invasive but is reliably hardy here in NJ. It's very easy to grow from seed and the seeds are readily available.

The Sunflower Maximillian has a late (September or so) start to the flowering season and only stays in flower for four to five weeks. Because of their height, they're prone to blowing over unless supported in some manner. My heliopsis start flowering in June and flower through the end of the growing season. ("Experts" say they flower for 6-8 weeks, but I get a longer flowering season from them.)

You could also look at a perennial like Rudbeckia Goldsturm for a nice yellow-flowered perennial. Easy to grow from seeds, quite hardy and once again stays more controlled in growth. Seeds are readily available (I just bought a pack at Walmart for $1.44) and are super easy to grow. I have one that's about twenty or more years old now.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@gardenman  Thanks for all of your information. I thnk I will try your suggestions instead of the sunflower. Thanks again.