New Contributor

Barbara King Outdoor Rug Fades Badly

We purchased the Vintage Diamond outdoor rug last summer and placed it on our back porch where nearly half the rug gets sun. That half of the rug faded very badly so now it's partially red but nearly half a pale orange-ish pink. If it's an outdoor rug, why does it fade? Tried to rectify with QVC Customer Support, but were told to go online and try to find "Barbara King". Great solution to the problem, but certainly won't be recommending Barbara King outdoor rugs to anyone.Smiley Mad

Honored Contributor

Re: Barbara King Outdoor Rug Fades Badly

[ Edited ]

@Mike in NC    I believe you can contact Barbara King at Valley Forge Flowers.  They have multiple websites.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

It is hard to think of anything that will NOT fade in ongoing direct sunlight.  Rugs, patio umbrellas, roof tiles, plastic flower pots, garden decorations, bricks, etc., will all eventually lose color due to the strength of the sun rays.

I live in a four season state, but everything I leave outside in direct sunlight eventually fades, or suffers damage from rainstorms, wind or snow. My painted cast iron garden furniture need touch-ups or repainting, as do my heavy steel cellar doors.

I cannot blame the manufacturer---Nature is just more powerful than we can overcome.  My recommendation is use the rug in a completely shaded area.

Valued Contributor

Did the rug come with a guarantee of no fading if left in direct sun?

I live in southeast Florida and purchased a Bliss chair from QVC about 2 years ago for my balcony which faces to the West. There are few days without sunshine here. Last year I noticed the color on the chair's lower potion starting to fade, which I have now covered. I don't know what I was thinking. Impossible to keep the chair out of the sun. I don't blame the manufacturer or QVC though.

Esteemed Contributor

Outdoor rugs and pillows only last one season on my porch. It gets direct full sign for hours. So with that in mind I know what I buy and pay for it will be used one season. 🌞

Trusted Contributor

@godi wrote:

Outdoor rugs and pillows only last one season on my porch. It gets direct full sign for hours. So with that in mind I know what I buy and pay for it will be used one season. 🌞

Ditto to your post. Here in Tampa Bay the intense sun fades everything. Only solution is to buy inexpensive patio decor and replace every year, or pay big $ for Sunbrella fabrics which make it through a few years. 

Esteemed Contributor

As an alternative, I'd suggest Kotulas - you can visit their website. I've bought outdoor rugs/mats for a number of years from them, and I've never had one fade. Prices are very reasonable and shipping is usually free. They last for several years - I usually order new ones about every 3 years to get a different design. Highly recommend.

New Contributor

Thank you! I will check them out.

Valued Contributor

Faux green moss on garden critter statues also fades to white!