Honored Contributor

I had noticed some people in the Nextdoor group I'm in talking about Army Worms, but the neighborhoods they were in were not super close to mine.  Then, yesterday hubby mentioned that he thought he had seen them on the sidewalk down the hill on his walks.  While he was on his walk I was looking out the front window and noticed a sorta brown area in our yard, so I walked out, stooped down and immediately spotted one.  Off to the local nursery we went to try and get something to kill them.  I had notified my neighbor across the street and she told me Home Depot and Lowes was out of the stuff but she had some ordered if we needed to use some.  

We got to the Nursery and one of the workers asked if he could help us and hubby said "I hope so" and the owner who was also standing there asked "Army Worms?"  Luckily, we got some fresh off the delivery truck stuff to put down.  They only got one box of the two they had ordered.  Apparently, they're everywhere.  A relative of mine who is also a Friend on Facebook also mentioned she was having troubles with them and she lives in a different state.  She said she had treated them once and they're back.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Bad Year for Army Worms?

I had several invasions of them when I lived in So Cal.....(they are really caterpillars).    They stripped my terrace garden OVERNIGHT!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I don't know what army worms are, but we're getting ready for the spotted red lantern flies to hatch. They're pretty but very destructive.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@catter70 wrote:

I don't know what army worms are, but we're getting ready for the spotted red lantern flies to hatch. They're pretty but very destructive.

Spotted lanternfly has now been seen in Central Park, NYC. The news on TV the other night said, that if you see any that you should photograph it, or  kill it without smashing it, (there's a way to do that?) 😀 and contact the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) to let them know as they are tracking them. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom maybe capture and drown?  Why not smash it?

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I had noticed some people in the Nextdoor group I'm in talking about Army Worms, but the neighborhoods they were in were not super close to mine.  Then, yesterday hubby mentioned that he thought he had seen them on the sidewalk down the hill on his walks.  While he was on his walk I was looking out the front window and noticed a sorta brown area in our yard, so I walked out, stooped down and immediately spotted one.  Off to the local nursery we went to try and get something to kill them.  I had notified my neighbor across the street and she told me Home Depot and Lowes was out of the stuff but she had some ordered if we needed to use some.  

We got to the Nursery and one of the workers asked if he could help us and hubby said "I hope so" and the owner who was also standing there asked "Army Worms?"  Luckily, we got some fresh off the delivery truck stuff to put down.  They only got one box of the two they had ordered.  Apparently, they're everywhere.  A relative of mine who is also a Friend on Facebook also mentioned she was having troubles with them and she lives in a different state.  She said she had treated them once and they're back.  

What are Army Worms and what states are they in? I live in Arizona where we do not have Fall, but go straight to winter in late November/early December. I wish when posters bring up these kind of subjects, they would say where they live. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I guess they want to be certain of it's ID, maybe figure out if it's male or female or how old it is? 

They go through a few instars. 

49F3F0F8-3DAD-4E32-9F5E-0EBB076A26F8.jpeg

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@RealtyGal2 Apparently, they can be found anywhere east of the Rockies although they can't survive winters north of FL.  The moths fly north and they can be found in late summer all the way up to Canada.  They are ravenous little caterpillars and reproduce worse than rabbits.  They can quickly kill a lawn  

https://www.familyhandyman.com/article/armyworms/

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess , we get them in Nova Scotia, usually in trees and often we find them in Apple trees.  Our method of disposal is to cut the limb and burn.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@Icegoddess , we get them in Nova Scotia, usually in trees and often we find them in Apple trees.  Our method of disposal is to cut the limb and burn.  LM

@Lilysmom1 that sounds a lot like our tent worms.  They make their nests in the trees, mostly wild cherry, and leave the nest during to day to feed on everything.  Army worms don't gt into the trees.  They burrow into the ground to pupate.  They mostly feed on grasses, but will go after flowers and veggies too.