Super Contributor

I live in Phoenix where the temperatures have been high, excess of 115 this summer.  I have artificial grass in my backyard which becomes way too hot for my dog.  I have tried boots which she refused to wear then chewed up and a shade sail which lasted one week before blowing away.  I am asking for opinions.  Would you put in a couple of large trees or have a wood pergola type thing built over the backyard?  The yard is small, about 30 x 40.  Oh, and I also tried potty pads.  Right now, I am going out several times a day and watering the "grass" to cool it enough so she can walk on it.  My neighbors probably think I am crazy to water fake grass.  Any ideas?

Honored Contributor

Re: Backyard shade

[ Edited ]

Didn't we already discuss this once?  I think I already gave you my ideas.

I know artificial grass is popular there; what do other people do?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Oh, that's funny!  But hey, I'd water it for my dog, too.

I think I'd go for the wood pergola.  I've wanted one for YEARS because it would give so much shade in my HOT kitchen.  I would put it attached to the house and going out several feet.  I'm interested to see what other suggestions you get.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Super Contributor

Kachina624,  sorry for the apparent repeat which was weeks ago in the pet section.  You dont have to read this.  The responses I received from the pet section were tried without success.  I am asking now, which might provide better shade and thought someone in the garden / backyard section might have other ideas.

Esteemed Contributor

The only other thing I could think of would be along the lines of a retractable awning but the pergola would look great and would be my first choice. Let us know your solution. 

Respected Contributor

I water the concrete patio in my back for all the critters that might walk on it...I started doing the watering thing a few times a day when I was feeding a large feral cat colony prior to bringing them to Morris Animal Refuge. 

They seemed to appreciate the cool concrete, the big water containers and the very wet food I'd feed them in the summer. 

Hydrate xs 3!

I use the hose on the mist spray and wet it thoroughly as to not waste too much of the precious stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

@lilypadfrog  I live in Nova Scotia so heat like you experience is not common here although our temperatures are on the rise also.  Yours is a tough question.  Does the dog go to the same spot all the time?  

I have a motorized retractable awning across my living room windows (which are a long wall of windows).   While this cools the house, I am not sure how well it would work in your situation.  I think I would look for some kind of sun shelter (canopy) for the backyard.

Good luck.  Post your solution when you find one.  LM

Honored Contributor

My house is surrounded by trees.   They are expensive to maintain by an arborist, and I do worry in a haboob.    BUT, having a house and yard in the shade is worth it to me.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@lilypadfrog I didn't see your previous posting.................interesting problem.  You have me thinking OP.  I know many dogs don't like to go-go in rain conditions.  There must be a solution to your problem.    Thinking.........Thinking.......

Esteemed Contributor

@lilypadfrog How about a SPRINKLER ON A TIMER CLOCK?

First off - you can't instantly have big trees for protection - those would take years to grow........and building a wood 'something or other' - will look terrible and will not reduce ground  heat temp by much.

Go to Garden Supply website  and check out sprinklers  Not much different than what you're doing now; but by having a timer on a sprinkler it will save you.  Have timer set to squirt water every hour or two or three.  You can control the area to be watered....dog wouldn't need the whole back yard to do it's business. 

Sprinkler would keep ground temp lower at a more constant range.

Still thinking........thinking.........