Respected Contributor

@lilypadfrog   Look up Hydrochill.  

Honored Contributor

I'm a big fan of trees.  I have a shady back yard and the temperature difference between the front yard that gets sun and the back is quite noticeable.  Even moreso the difference between it and parking lots.  That being said, it can take quite awhile for the trees to get large enough to provide good shade.  

Super Contributor

Yes, my dog does seems to prefer a single area but she will walk on the right side of the yard all the way to the back then walk the entire width of the yard til she gets to her spot.  Has to sniff every single thing, you know.  So that means her paws start to burn within a few feet.  

I dont think an awning would work since "her area" is about 30 feet out.  The shade sail did blow away during monsoon winds when I wasn't home to quickly take it down.  Tree wise, I would plan on a big son of a gun tree but I am concerned about damage to the "grass".  I like a pergola but it cant be higher than 6 feet tall due to HOA regs.  That's a bit  short.

So, at this point I am buying an oscillating sprinkler so i can turn it on for a few minutes before she goes out.  She will walk on wet things but a drop of water hitting her will make her run for the house.  

Honored Contributor

I vote for a couple of trees.  

Honored Contributor

Always expect with a tree to not have grass grow well below it. You could plant shade loving perennials below the tree. That is what I did with a small magnolia called 'Jane'. The tree is at maturity now at around 15' in our backyard & I created a 9' circle of bricks around it & planted astilbe, hosta, painted ferns & some Carex 'Evergold' 

Since you are in Phoenix, you may need to find trees that grow well in your area. Be sure to mulch around your plants to keep the soil from getting too hot.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

Hey, Kachina624, I looked at my reply to you before and realized it was one of those times when written words sounded harsher than what verbal words would have.  I hope I did not offend you, if so, I am sorry for that was not my intent.  I was just trying to say this would/ might be a repeat for you so may not be worth your time / energy.  

Honored Contributor

Before you do anything consult a local landscaper, garden center or extension service office.

Trees are often a huge problem especially for a small yard. The kind of tree you select needs to be well thought out and is critical.

It is not easy to grow grass under trees, and if you have artificial turf the trees may not get adequate water.

Your agricultural and mechanical univeristy in your state and their extension offices should be able to provide you with a world of great free advice.

Bad trees are expensive to remove too--so just saying plan carefully.  Don't just stick something out because you think they are pretty.

Super Contributor

Allegheny, I have looked at the information for hydrochill.  I did not know such a thing was possible.  I think, though, it works in conjunction with moisture.  I am not sure that would work here since my area has had a bit over .25 inch of rain in the last 100 days.  East Phoenix has had a bit more but we are still in a very strong drought.  I am not even sure our monsoon will be more than wind and duststorms.  However, in case I am wrong, I will contact the dealer.