Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD , yes, my friend,  it is me Lilysmom.  Forced into the name change.  Glad you recognize the gardens.  When I photograph the gazing balls Ina,ways remember you seeing my image captured there...a detail I often miss!

Hoping you and family are well in these strange times.  We get vaccinated next week,  S

Respected Contributor

@lulu1 ,the deer can cause such destruction.  Our Lab keeps us protected but she will be 14 in June.  I see a few rabbits around this year too.  S

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@gardenman  Do you have a photo of the flower globe?  If so, pls post.  If I think of it, I will wander over to A's site and look.

Interesting comment on the allium.  I got 2 bulbs so $5 a piece.  Will post a photo when they emerge.  The ones I potted inside are going crazy.  Grew about 4" already.  No grow lights, just a very sunny window.

The mirrors sound very interesting.  I confess I would be worried about breakage.  The wind blew so hard here yesterday my walk was difficult.  S

Here are some photos of the flower globes in use. They're often called "flower aquariums." Gardener's supply also used to sell them but I don't see them on their site anymore. They're pretty neat. They have a frog (flower holder) in the base that unscrews/unsnaps and you secure the flower in. Then you snap/screw the globe onto the top, invert it, fill it with water, plug the water filling hole and flip it over and you've got a gorgeous flower in a globe of water. There are also far cheaper DIY snow globes that would also work, you'd just have to figure out how to hold the flowers in place on your own. (A bit of floral foam perhaps.)

DB201-flower-aquarium-u-01-r.jpg

aaccbd8b-5c25-49c8-8028-f12992585769_1.fd19960e04b3dfed58bc5cb38360c9a1.jpeg

40145ec3-706e-440a-a3a2-89938f042f56_1.87df9c59aed1fa4e457612ec7d1fb89f.jpeg

Salad Planting Bag @ Gardener's Supply online store.jpeg

I recently saw a photo where they'd used about ten of them on a table each one with different flowers in it. It was very impressive.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman , never heard of them before.  Oh so pretty.  They would make a lovely gift.  Thanks for showing these.  S

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@gardenman , never heard of them before.  Oh so pretty.  They would make a lovely gift.  Thanks for showing these.  S

They're pretty neat. Gardeners Supply is where I first saw them and they haven't shown up in many other places. They are impressive though. I was just reminded of them a while back by the photo of ten or so of them on a table each with different flowers in them. They'd be very handy for people like me who have cats who enjoy knocking cut flowers over and spilling the water from the vase. They can't really knock one of these over and even if they do, it's all sealed. Gardeners Supply no longer sells them (or if they do I couldn't find them.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1   We are as well as we can be, still battling cancer with my husband. Yesterday however was the first time I (or any one person/caregiver) could be with the patient in our facilities here (with Ohio State). He's been doing treatments alone since Jan 7, lately I've been taking him, dropping off and picking up when he's ready to come home. I was able to sit with his team, learn more info, then his 30 minute infusion. Does this every other week, the week he's on he follows up with chemo pills (6 daily for 7 days), off a week then back again. Scans scheduled for early May to see OR NOT any activity. Struggling with metatisizing, it just will not give up. This (I realize after listening to his NP) will be ongoing for ever.

Our dogwoods are in full bloom now, ivory that just popped up from seedlings from out ivory in the neighbor's yard. These now growing and blooming among our very old species of the pink, the front yard with these on one side and service berry on the other, various tulips and daffs sprinkled in. Back yard has tulips, very early hellebores and my prize epimediums flowering too. Too early for veggies and annuals although the weather and temps have been in the 70s, others have gone wild putting these out but too early.

We've so been enjoying the neighborhood coming alive with crabs in bloom, redbuds are stunning this year, magnolias both star and lovely berry colors pretty much finished at this point. I so love this time of year watching everything come back to life. 

PS we're a month into having both pfizer vaccines, feeling fine after each one. Great to know you and DH will be getting your shots very soon. Best to yo u both in your growing season!

Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

I often purchase from Gardeners Supply I guess I missed these.  I clip rhododendron blossoms and camellias.  This would be so much better than a small vase or floating the camellias.  

@Lilysmom1 

Love your pictures as always.  I have hellebros, camellias, bergenia and daffodils blooming.  Rhododendrons are just starting and I noticed today the hostas are breaking through.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Back in the garden 2021

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD  your yard sounds lovely!  It must be a sight to see.  This is what I woke up to this morning...excuse the photo quality, taken through the window on a cold, windy, wet morning...my daffodils just bloomed, poor things!

Your DH must be happy that you can accompany him now for his treatments.  I am sending you both warm thoughts.  I know it can be a long and difficult process to go through the treatments and that we do what we must in the circumstances.

I am happy to hear you both have your vaccines.  What a trying year it has been.

I am in yard cleanup mode and it was going well until Mother Nature served up this latest snow rain event.  It has been wonderful to have the gardens to work in during Covid.  

Real estate in our area has gone through the roof.  With border restrictions in place most of the buyers are coming east from Ontario.  People are buying properties sight unseen save for a FaceTime video.  The demographics include many young families, not just people retiring and coming home.  I expect us to go through an infrastructure crunch as we deal with an increasing population.  The ability to work remotely and our low Covid numbers are big attractions.

Take care of yourself as caregiver.  I know it can be exhausting.❤️  S

18789333-7590-4D7E-AED5-48CA12F2CFD8.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne , I need to get some hellebores.  I had one that died a few years ago.  The star in my garden these days are the heather (Heath depending who you talk to).  The daffodils just opened up and the crocus are almost done.  S

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1   Oh my - cold and snow - we don'tlike to have this going on with our lovely spring bulbs coming up and blooming. Now we heard on the weather last night we too may be expecting a little of snow later this upcoming week. At least your's is slight and hopefully with a little sun it'll be gone before the day is done.

Thank you for your kind thoughts. We'll continue to do what we need to do, plug through. I found a tee a month or so ago "Grow through What we Go Through". Quite fitting I thought!