Respected Contributor

BRACING FOR HURRICANE DORIAN...

Just thought to stop in and ask for prayers...I'm in Central Florida, and preparing for ANOTHER hurricane!! Just moved all empty pots and lawn decor. Will take down all bird feeders by Sunday morning or sooner, depending on constant changing forecast. So far, its said to hit central at a cat. 4 by Monday. I'm soooo busy with everything, I'm not sure if I want to cut back my Rose's, or just see how the fare. They're not doing so good anyway with the heat and and constant blackspot, despite all treatments. Last hurricane, 2 summers ago, I pruned down, and tied them . They all dropped every leave and of course were water logged. But they came back. Not sure if I'll bother cutting them back this time...was planning on waiting till February. I don't know, maybe the high winds will take them out?? My 3 daughters and my elderly parents are all here in Florida...especially concerned for my parents. Thankfully they cut back on planting, and lawn decor, so they should be in pretty good shape. Of course our homes are always a concern. Mom and dad replaced their roof a while back, do to another hurricane that tore shingles off. Its been awful hot, and we usually lose power for about 7 days...UGHHHH. Please keep Florida in prayer...thanks everyone 😍
Esteemed Contributor

Re: BRACING FOR HURRICANE DORIAN...

Florida on my mind.  Talked to relative last night - she lives on barrier island Melbourne Beach.  Talk about a sitting duck.    Has suffered no damage during recent "H" but this new one looks like it could be a direct hit for her.  Already had plans to visit sister in TN  (changed flight from Sunday to Sat) so she'll be okay...but house may be a another story.  Prayers going South.

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin  Please consider leaving. I know how awful it is to be stuck in traffic and worrying about your home. But it this comes in at at cat. 3 or 4 things will be really bad. I used to live on the coast of GA. near Tybee. In 2016 we took a direct hit from Mathew at a Cat 1 and it was bad. But living in FL I am sure you are aware of this. Take care and we are prayig for you. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin,  Prayers for you and for all who are in the path of the storm.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Frequent Contributor

Praying that the storm weakens or heads out to sea. Take care all who live in Florida.

Super Contributor

We will probably not be impacted so much here on the west coast. The folks on the other side of the state best be prepared or evacuate to a safe place. I fear for those living in manufactured homes. They should seek shelter. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin  Take care and keep safe during the storm, you and all those in it’s path are in my prayers. 

Honored Contributor

My prayers go out to all those in the path of this monster hurricane.  I'm saying extra prayers to St Medard.  Be safe everyone!

Trusted Contributor

I am just north of Daytona, we are taking this very seriously as the entire state just about is in the Cone of Uncertainty.  This one is no joke.  Yesterday went out to top the cars off with gas and fill the cans but gas was in short supply.  Overnight the the supply has been replenished.  We topped off.  There is a ton of traffic out there and people are driving like idiots.  

I will say this, if you are getting gas and there is a line to get it, just fill your car and your cans and quickly move out of the way.  I was at a gas station yesterday where people were just chit chatting, I asked nicely excuse me there a line of cars waiting to get gas, could this conversation be held someplace else.  They apologized and moved.  Perhaps I was out of line but so were they.  To me it was just common sense.

Please pray for all those all in the path me included and I will do the same.

Respected Contributor

@Miss Pepsi ...I'm in Ormond Beach.   I was already out gassing up Wednesday, and shopping.   Today just some local stops, not driving unnecessary.  I'm on 5 acres with horses, so we start early preparing the property, etc.  We use our generator for power...I'm on well water, and pump runs by electricity...big bummer!!  We're usually the first to lose power and last to get it on again.   We have gone about 7 days past hurricanes without power.  We are as prepared as can be.  Stay safe and calm!!   Still hoping it blows out off land somewhere.