Respected Contributor

BLUEBIRDS NESTING IN THIS HOUSE

20200222_165022.jpg

Respected Contributor

Re: BLUEBIRDS NESTING IN THIS HOUSE

I put this birdhouse out for ornamental display....theres no openings to clean this out through a back door.   I was pleasantly surprised to see one or two bringing twigs, or grass in.  Guess I'll figure out how to clean it out afterwards. 

Meanwhile I'm heading out to find another birdhouse...please post suggestions what bluebirds like to nest in.  I'll put another one nearby.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin How thoughtful that you provided this lovely residence for your beautiful blue birds!

Respected Contributor

I have 2 bluebird boxes & lots of babies are born every year in them. Search bluebird boxes...they have a shape & hole size that's best for them. Good luck @Dazlin.

Esteemed Contributor

Most of you probably already know this, but we've started putting dried mealy worms out for the bluebirds and I think they're here to stay! We would occasionally get a few bluebirds once in awhile, but I read on Duncraft that they love the dried mealy worms. I ordered a bag of them along with a hanging feeding tray, and I'm now feeding the bluebirds daily. That stuff really does draw the bluebirds and keeps them hanging around. I mix them with a little bit of regular bird seed, but they pick through that for the mealy worms first.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   Research bluebird houses.  There's a certain size box and certain hole size that's best for them.  The hole in that box looks too big.  Also, do not put bird food or meal worms near the box.  You don't want to attract other birds near the bluebirds.  Some birds will raid a bluebird box and crack the eggs and/or kill the babies.

I don't mean to scare you.  It's just important.  You can go into Wild Birds Unlimited and talk to them about what bluebirds want and how to mount a box properly.  They sell bluebird boxes that are very nice.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

@Dazlin @Oh lucky you! I love bluebirds but never can get them to nest and seldom get to see them. 

Honored Contributor

Several years ago, I bought some nice bluebird houses from a guy on eBay who made them.  You might check there.  @Dazlin 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I did start putting out mealworms, because I had Bluejays last year. But now I learned these little bluebirds love them. I'm surprised they're using this house, considering the construction of it, but I'm not interfering..lol.
@nicknac, I posted a pic showing a tray feeder with 2 bluebirds on it...it happens to be near this birdhouse they chose. I'll leave everything be for now, and keep an eye. I really don't feel right about moving things at this point...they seem to doing well so far. But that's why I'm going to offer a better type house, and I'll be sure to place it further. Thanks for the tip.
Trusted Contributor

Sialis Helping Bluebirds is a website that has all about bluebirds, their housing and feeding. Invaluable source: http://www.sialis.org/

Originally joined board 12-14-2004