Respected Contributor

BLUEBIRD REMOVED UNHATCHED EGG...

So 4 bluebird babies hatched.  They fledged 1 day ago.  Yet, I was seeing a parent continue to enter the box.  I couldn't understand why.  So I checked the box today planning on cleaning it out, as I usually do after they all leave.   I saw one egg left over that hadn't hatched.  However both parents were staying nearby and I saw one fly out of the box, so I figured I'd leave it alone for now.   

I checked again this afternoon and a parent removed the unhatched egg.  I googled it, and sure enough it's very common that they'll remove the unfertile egg.   I got to clean out box, and now they'll have a clean home for next time.   I didn't know they do that...amazing. 

In the past, if I saw an unhatched egg several days after the others hatched, I would remove it.  It's said, it's good to do that once your sure it's unfertile.   It could rot, or explode,  or get crushed from the babies.  I wonder why the parents didn't take it out until after they all fledged??

However, they sure know what they're doing. 🙂

Respected Contributor

Re: BLUEBIRD REMOVED UNHATCHED EGG...

@Dazlin Nature at its best!  It is amzing how smart these little critters are for sure.  My momma had some that built in a wreath on the back patio.  She heard the squawking and went to investigate.  A snake was crawling up the screen trying to invade the nest.  Momma took a hoe and pulled the snake down and sent him on his way.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   That is interesting, we had a bird nest with 3 eggs, only two hatched.  

She has been sitting on that nest for two weeks....and she is always sitting on that nest when I think to look...I wonder what it will take her to leave that unhatched egg and nest?  This bird is a morning dove.  

The other two birds flew away weeks ago, I am kind of concerned about the mother bird.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs ...could it be another mother, new egg??

I had a Dove hatch 2 babies here, but I forgot the incubation period.  You could look it up, and if she's on it after it should have hatched then hopefully she'll wake up.  But I'd wait for that period to pass to see if it's possibly a new egg.  You can remove the egg after that, but it's said to leave nest alone, as Doves sometimes return to the old nest.

• My Dove made a nest in a Staghorn plant we had hanging from a tree.  She hatched her babies ...now we recently had the tree removed, so the plant is in another area, no more nest in it.  
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin I am pretty certain it is not a new egg, but will keep my eye out.  If I am wrong it should be hatching soon.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs , let me know, I'm curious. 🙂

Respected Contributor

ANOTHER NEW NEST...4-5 EGGS ALREADY LAID.😀

Honored Contributor

I'm not able to monitor my birdhouse to know if there is any activity going on or not.  Two years ago I was able to see that there was feeding going on, but I didn't know when they left, so I'm afraid to go and open the box and clean it out.  

I know there is a bluebird family in the area though since I saw them the other day feeding the begging babies in the trees.  Hopefully, my new mealworm feeder will show up today.  

I have a couple of house finches that like to build on top of the front door security camera and I do remove that nest as soon as they are gone because I'd rather them not nest there, poop on the front porch and all.  A male cardinal took refuge on that camera two nights during the winter when it was particularly cold.  That was a surprise for me. 

Respected Contributor

@DazlinI have birds nesting in the evergreens all around the gardens.  They are smart.  These shrubs never get trimmed in the interior and provide lovely protection from predators and harsh weather.  the ones by the front door are busy though.  Every time we come out the front door, they try to lead us away from the nest.  In summer, I try to use other entries to the house to give them a rest.  LM

Honored Contributor

I think my bluebirds' second nestlings should hatch any day now.  I just saw the male sitting on top of the nest box with worms in his mouth.  I was hoping that might mean they had hatched and he would go in and feed them.  He ended up eating the worms himself and then flying away.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau