Honored Contributor

Re: BLUEBIRD HOUSE OPENED AND EMPTY...

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin wrote:

@NickNack ...ill look into a guard too...I guess.   Im ordering a wide cone baffle. 

@Dazlin   What I'm talking about is recommended over a conical baffle.   It's a wobbling baffle.  http://www.sialis.org/baffle.htm. It's by far the best type.  If this is the same type that you have, yours might be smaller.  It would be considered a squirrel baffle and is more for bird feeders.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@NickNack ...ill look into a guard too...I guess.   Im ordering a wide cone baffle. 

@Dazlin 

If your box is not located anywhere near a fence, tree, etc. where the raccoon can jump from to reach the box, I recommend using grease on the pole holding the BB box.

We've had to do that with a raccoon climbing the pole.

We tried several types of grease, but axle grease (for cars) holds up better to the elements to us.

As soon as they feel the stickiness on their feet, they go back down and don't consider the box as a  food source.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@NickNack ...thank you!  I just viewed the link.  Hubby already ordered a cone baffle,  but he can add this guard too, and they give instructions how to make one...hes super handy.    I also think I'm going to move the house a few feet back.  Right now it's under my window, about 2 feet away, but there's a ledge ,window sil that possibly something can jump on then hop above the baffle.   Im just thinking of everything. 

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom ...no, it's free standing next to my house outside my window.   But now I'm thinking something could've used the ledge below the window to jump on.  Although it's very narrow and pitched downward you never know.   I'll probably move it away from the window.   I placed it there because I could watch birds and enjoy seeing them feeding, etc.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   That sounds like a good idea to move it a few feet back, too.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I was planning on removing the unhatched eggs today..its been about a week since one hatched and no others   I usually remove them as time goes on to reduce the chance of rotting or breaking.     I wonder if the unhatched eggs heightened the scent for a predator to smell.     Ill be checking the trap and camera .

Anyone think the bluebirds will nest there again...im seeing them there and nearby...I dont think they know what happened.   

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   I doubt the unhatched eggs had anything to do with it.  I think a raccoon saw an opportunity and took it.  I think there's a very good chance the bluebirds will nest there again--maybe not this season though.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack ...thanks for your input.   I hope they nest again.   I found one egg on the ground near the house .  It's unfertile,  i opened it, ( the reason it didn't hatch.)   I've got a can of cat food in the trap...and we're keeping an eye on the camera.   I'm definitely going to do some changes on all the bird houses here.   I have the one I mentioned with the chickadees still going on.  I see the babies peeking out.

I guess if we're going to host birds and babies, we have to do everything possible to protect them.    I used to have Pekin ducks and a large variety of chickens,  so believe me, I've seen what unwelcomed guests can do.  There were times I wanted to give it all up because of the predators taking out my pets.  I did everything I could predator proofing my coops...most of which really helped.   It was a job, but worth the cost if I wanted to have my ducks and chickens...and the delicious healthy eggs.  Finally gave it up due to drs orders,  I developed some health conditions, so as precaution it was best not to be their environment within the coops, etc.  Oh well,  it was a wonderful,  learning experience.   Now, here I go with these birdies🐦🐦🐦.

Respected Contributor

Good morning....caught a cat!! We let it go free this morning. Hopefully it hated being trapped and will stay away. I wasn't expecting a cat, thought possum.
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   You've done a great job with your bird hosting.  I would love to have chickadees, too.  I love watching them at the bird feeders.

I wonder how a cat got to the house.  I'll bet it was from your windowsill if it was the culprit.  I think when you move it back a few feet and add the raccoon baffle it will be a safe environment for them.

-Henry David Thoreau