Honored Contributor

BEES IN THE GARDEN, OR LACK THEREOF

[ Edited ]

This year, I am noticing that there are hardly any bees in my garden, and if ever there was a garden that bees would love, it is mine.  I do see some, a few honey bees, black bee, and bumble bee, but in years past, there were thousands, it seemed, couldn't walk past a plant with flowers that it was covered in bees, and I find this so sad.  It apparently has to do with fungicides and other pesticides, wish people would all go organic and not use anything that is harmful to bees and animals.

Before, most of my daylilies, and I have hundreds, were pollinated, hardly any this year.

Honored Contributor

Re: BEES IN THE GARDEN, OR LACK THEREOF

we have an abundance of bees this year!

they are all over the flowers PLUS we have a bumper "crop" of clover in our area.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Hi @mousiegirl   I know, its a bummer, your gardens are so beautiful you would think it would be paradise for a bee. I cant remember where I read this but you can buy shipments of bees.  I knew you could buy ladybugs but didnt know about the bees. Might be something to read up on in your spare time. I would think they would stick around if they landed on the beautiful variety of blossoms you grow!

But I agree, it is sad for the lack of bees we have anymore, poor things.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't seen any in years.  My beautiful large Holly doesn't get red berries anymore.  It used to be loaded.  We do have a healthy male plant.

U.S. Dept of Agriculture has been looking at the following.

Four factors 

• new and reemerging pathogens
  • bee pests -  The Varroa destructor, a parasitic mite  
  • environmental and nutritional stresses - lack of food
  • pesticides

Respected Contributor

I have noticed the lack of bees also. My palm trees would normally have a swarm as soon as a flower pod would open.  There are only a few now. 🤔

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I can remember as a kid running through our grass (with clover), stepping on a bee, and subsequently geting stung.  I learned quickly to wear shoes because they were all over the clover.  I'm looking at a large area of clover out my window right now, and I can't see a single bee.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

We have loads of bees in the morning flocking to the wandering jew plants we have in our backyard. 

Honored Contributor

I have bees, they love the walkers low catnip, but i am not seeing many butterflies on my flowers.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Same here in NJ with the lack of bees.  I grew up here in NJ and, as kids, always had tons of bees feasting on the clover.  Over the last several years, a bee is hard to find on any clover or flower.  

My son planted wild flowers on two sides of our vegetable garden this year to encourage bees but it didn't seem to make a difference.  

The bee colony collapse is attributed to many things, but a big problem seems to be pesticides being used on plants these days. 

We have been using natural remedies to control garden pests. 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Regular Contributor