Trusted Contributor

Re: BEE PROBLEM ON HUMMINGBIRD FEEDERS

@ValuSkr wrote:

Yes, hummers seem to be afraid of bees.  Whatever you do, don't be too mean to the bees - we need them!

@Dazlin @ValuSkr 

Serious dilemma-  Love hummers but we need bees! 

Do you have any mason jars you can fill with a double sugar solution that the bees will head towards vs. the feeders? 

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I just found a swarm of bees around the cover to our water cut-off in our front flowerbed. It has a hole the size of a half-dollar so you can lift the cover off. Am afraid to take it off but how do I get the bees to go away? It is very close to our front porch entrance. I wonder if there could be a hive down inside? I have only seen hives up high...what to do...what to do....

be careful with that. yellow jackets nest in the ground

Respected Contributor

@Wahoogaz wrote:

I had the same problem last year with all 4 of my feeders. You can buy bee guards or guard tips to put on your feeders to keep bees and other insects from getting to the nectar. As soon as I added them to mine last year, the hummers were able to feed again.

————————————

Please consider something like this. I don’t think it’s good for hummingbirds to have oversweetened nectar and they might go for it in addition to the bees. 

Respected Contributor

in August here the bees here come out and they are yellow jackets, they love sweets. 

they are very nasty and can sting repeatedly.  have had to move the feeder but sometimes nothing helps.

you can try removing the yellow "flowers" on the feeders...YJ are attracted to yellow

Trusted Contributor

@lovesrecessBe very careful of any ground type nests, they are usually yellow jackets and they are very aggressive, and can sting more than once.

Respected Contributor

@shebamom wrote:

I couldn't find the glass jars I mentioned, but I found something that works in a similar manner. It's called Rescue Non-Toxic Reusable Trap for Yellowjackets, with refills for later in the summer. Those aren't "bees" you're seeing but yellowjackets. I've caught them specifically for identification. So you won't be eliminating good honeybees.

@shebamom  I got the Rescue Why Trap at lowes.  Its reusable, and comes with attractant.  Many reviews said it works, and they also use a piece of coldcuts, like chicken or Turkey,  something sweet.  Going to hang it soon.  APPRECIATE!!

Esteemed Contributor

Probably just an old wives' tale, but I've always heard that the color yellow attracts bees and wasps and to not buy hummer feeders that have the yellow flowers as decorations on the feeding base.   

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Yellow jackets nest in the ground and its best to hit the nest if you see where it is with an insecticide at dusk.Wear protective clothing and find an insecticide that kills yellow jackets. Doing it during the day won't work as the wasps are out of the nest. They return at dusk to their nest to sleep.

Honey bees will nest in openings such as holes in cement or behind a wall (make sure all openings are sealed to prevent these bees from nesting).

Here's a website to ID what you have visiting you: http://www.pollinator.com/identify/whatsbuzzin.htm

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Don't kill the bees, they do really important task .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

So far nothing in the Rescue trap.  Still have yellow Jack's swarming on the humzinger feeders.  Maybe Wasps too.  These do not have the yellow flowers attached...just plain saucer type feeders , so no yellow to attract bees.  Just wanted to clear that with some here.    I googled the Rescue traps, and it's a 50/50 review...some say they did great, some say they got nothing.   Many used apple juice, and a small piece of luncheon meat, and had better results.   So I'm going to try that as well.   There are many simple homemade devices that seem to work as well. 

To add...IM NOT KILLING HONEY BEES...THATS NOT WHAT IM DEALING WITH HERE.  IM ALL FOR THE HONEY BEES, AND I BUY LOCAL HONEY ALL THE TIME, AND SUPPORT THEM😍.