Respected Contributor

BEE PROBLEM ON HUMMINGBIRD FEEDERS

I have 2 humzinger type feeders up for hummingbirds.  I noticed a swarm of bees all over them this morning.   I took them down and washed them, made sure no nectar remained on the covering.  Hosed the bees away as long as I could.   Was ok until tonight, and now their covered again with bees.  I haven't had this problem before,  and I dont know what else to do.  It's sad because the hummers keep trying to feed and the bees literally chase them away.  Please, what can I do??

Occasional Contributor

Re: BEE PROBLEM ON HUMMINGBIRD FEEDERS

Make a solution of sugar water that is sweeter that what is usual for the Hummingbirds. It's usually 1 cup of sugar for every 4 cups of water. Make it 1 1/2 to 2 cups of sugar. Put it another feeder and place it a few feet away from the other. I have some insect catching, glass jars to put it in. The bees crawl in to get to the sweeter water, then can't get back out, Can't remember where I got them, they're so old.

Honored Contributor

Yes, hummers seem to be afraid of bees.  Whatever you do, don't be too mean to the bees - we need them!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Dazlin : I hate to kill any bees. If they start swarming my feeders I’ll switch out to 2 small ones I have that have small ports they can’t get into. They try but get discouraged.

I got them at our local garden center and they come with their own hanger one of which has a rail for the hummers to perch if they desire.

They are glass. The bottom looks like the bottom of a jar and is clear. The lid is red and just sits on top of the jar. They each only hold about 1/3 of a cup of nectar but in the summer with the heat I like to change them out often. Depending on how hot it is I might change them every other day. Very easy to clean and dry. I make a mixture to keep in the fridge for a few days and refill from there. Haven’t had to do that yet. No bees but I imagine they will show up

I will have to Google humzinger feeders

Occasional Contributor

I couldn't find the glass jars I mentioned, but I found something that works in a similar manner. It's called Rescue Non-Toxic Reusable Trap for Yellowjackets, with refills for later in the summer. Those aren't "bees" you're seeing but yellowjackets. I've caught them specifically for identification. So you won't be eliminating good honeybees.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin 

Spray the area around the feeder ports with Unflavored PAM.  Yellow Jackets (nasty tempered creatures) don’t like it.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@Dazlin : I hate to kill any bees. If they start swarming my feeders I’ll switch out to 2 small ones I have that have small ports they can’t get into. They try but get discouraged.

I got them at our local garden center and they come with their own hanger one of which has a rail for the hummers to perch if they desire.

They are glass. The bottom looks like the bottom of a jar and is clear. The lid is red and just sits on top of the jar. They each only hold about 1/3 of a cup of nectar but in the summer with the heat I like to change them out often. Depending on how hot it is I might change them every other day. Very easy to clean and dry. I make a mixture to keep in the fridge for a few days and refill from there. Haven’t had to do that yet. No bees but I imagine they will show up

I will have to Google humzinger feeders. Ah, my sister has one of those. The ports are big enough for the bees to feed from

Super Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

I have 2 humzinger type feeders up for hummingbirds.  I noticed a swarm of bees all over them this morning.   I took them down and washed them, made sure no nectar remained on the covering.  Hosed the bees away as long as I could.   Was ok until tonight, and now their covered again with bees.  I haven't had this problem before,  and I dont know what else to do.  It's sad because the hummers keep trying to feed and the bees literally chase them away.  Please, what can I do??

I had the same problem last year with all 4 of my feeders. You can buy bee guards or guard tips to put on your feeders to keep bees and other insects from getting to the nectar. As soon as I added them to mine last year, the hummers were able to feed again.

Honored Contributor

I just found a swarm of bees around the cover to our water cut-off in our front flowerbed. It has a hole the size of a half-dollar so you can lift the cover off. Am afraid to take it off but how do I get the bees to go away? It is very close to our front porch entrance. I wonder if there could be a hive down inside? I have only seen hives up high...what to do...what to do....
Respected Contributor

Yep, pretty sure they're yellow jackets. I'll try some suggestions here...I'm so aggravated this happened. I have these feeders set up around my back lanai, and I so enjoy watching the hummers from my family room, looking out the sliders. Appreciate the suggestions here!