Respected Contributor
@lilliesmom...thanks for the suggestion...I'll surely look into those plants🙂
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom   Oh thanks, my bad. I should've looked at the foliage too. Both flowers are lovely. We've had both here, a nice patch of moonbeam many years ago. The color of your's here is lovely.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: August 2/19 Blooms

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin 

The photo doesn’t do it justice.  It is very airy and sways gently in the wind.  It is also tough as nails!  Hope you try it.  LM

284F80DF-0AAA-4EA1-9418-AA59B119D2C9.jpeg

Known for its silvery gray, fragrant foliage as much as its lavender-purple flowers, Russian sage (Perovskia atriplicifolia) makes a bold statement in the garden. The abundant, spiky clusters of flowers bloom from late spring until autumn, almost completely obscuring the leaves. Use Russian sage as a ground cover for open areas or as a specimen plant. Learning how to grow Russian sage plants is easy, as is Russian sage care. It prefers very dry conditions, making it an ideal plant for xeriscaping. How to Grow Russian Sage Russian sage is hardy in USDA plant hardiness Zones 5 through 10. Choose a location with very well-drained soil of average fertility in full sun. Growing Russian sage in partly shaded locations may cause the plants to sprawl. Set out new plants in early spring, spacing them 2 to 3 feet apart. Water the plants occasionally during dry spells until they are established and growing. If you would like to apply mulch around the plants, gravel is a better choice than organic mulch because it allows better moisture evaporation. Russian Sage Care Watering care for Russian sage plants is minimal. In fact, Russian sage thrives in dry soil and rarely needs watering once established. Scatter a handful of general-purpose fertilizer or a shovelful of compost around each plant every other year in late fall. North of USDA Zone 6, provide a 2-inch layer of pine needles over winter and remove them in spring when new growth emerges. While allowing the stems and seed pods to remain in the garden until spring creates winter interest, if you prefer a tidier appearance, you can cut the stems back to a foot above the ground. Spring and summer care for Russian sage consists mainly of pruning. When new spring growth emerges, cut the old stems back to just above the lowest set of leaves. If the plant begins to spread open or sprawl in late spring or summer, shear off the top one-third of the stems to encourage upright growth. Remove the top half of the stems if the plant stops blooming in summer. This encourages new growth and a fresh flush of flowers. Propagate Russian sage plants by dividing the clumps or taking cuttings in spring. Dividing the clumps every four to six years reinvigorates the plants and helps to control their spread.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Russian Sage Care: Tips For Growing Russian Sage Plant https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/russian-sage-flowers/russian-sage-care.htm

Esteemed Contributor

Re: August 2/19 Blooms

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin , red hot poker...

Image by zabdiel If you’re looking for something grand in the garden or something to attract wildlife friends, then look no further than the red hot poker plant. Growing and caring for torch lilies is easy enough for newbie gardeners too. So what is a red hot poker torch lily and how do you grow red hot pokers? Keep reading to find out. What is a Red Hot Poker Torch Lily? The striking red hot poker plant (Kniphofia uvaria) is in the Liliaceae family and is also known as poker plant and torch lily. This plant thrives in USDA zones 5 through 9 and is an upright evergreen perennial with a clumping habit. Over 70 known species exist of this South African native plant. Torch lilies grow to be up to 5 feet tall and attract hummingbirds, butterflies and birds to the garden with their bright flowers and sweet nectar. Attractive sword-shaped leaves surround the base of a tall stem upon which red, yellow or orange tubular flowers droop down like a torch.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Poker Plant Care: Growing And Caring For Red Hot Torch Lilies https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/bulbs/red-hot-poker/growing-red-hot-torch-lilies.htm

D13CC211-5481-4A05-AF4C-D790978D386B.jpeg

Respected Contributor
@liliesmom...those are just beautiful!! I googled the plants you mentioned, so I'll check out my local nurseries next spring. I typically pot most of my plants, so I'll see which will be best. Thanks so much😀
Respected Contributor
The Russian Sage looks alot like the Lavender I had here. We put those in the ground, and did ok until it got too wet here. They also flopped over, looked a bit sloppy, so hubby pulled them. I stick to pots now. We have very sandy soil, and clay...the few plants I put in ground get alot of doctoring with potting soil and fertilizers, etc.
Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin , I think the Russian Sage is much tougher and easier to care for than lavender.  It is also much larger and more willowy in stature.  I would suggest you try one.

I have pulled all the lavender from my garden.  It is such a late starter here and it looks dead far longer than other perennials.   

Good luck @Dazlin .  Let me know how you do!  LM