Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are your hummers affected by the heat?

Once we hit into the 90' s I didn't see them too much during the day. However once it cooled toward the evening they made an appearance on their favorite flowering vines.   

Contributor

I live in Northern California and feed the hummers all year long.  It gets quite hot here during the summer.  A couple of weeks ago it was 116* and they were flying between the feeder and the fountain out my office window and were "panting" as they perched themselves.  Amazing how the Lord created them to withstand the heat and cold. 

Esteemed Contributor

We're in the 90's and I've seen maybe 2 and not in my yard. 

Respected Contributor

I am in Florida, and the heat has not affected the hummingbirds here.  I have 2 feeders out, and I see them all times of day, and more so after rain.

Regular Contributor

I live in SC and it is very humid and hot here now! I have at least 12 hummies every day and they are very active. I only fill my big feeder half way with sugar water because they drain it faster and with the heat its a great idea to clean the feeders good and give them fresh sugar water! They are happy little birds!
Esteemed Contributor

Our hummers are out in the heat, thunderstorms, dawn & dusk.  They are not so bountiful when it's chilly.

Respected Contributor

I have one of these red fountains and when it get really hot here this is what I see.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNJmtRK55k0

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

We have been in high 80's and they aren't showing up as much.  Hope they weather this heat OK.  

@depglass   I see hummers mostly in early morning and early evening when it is cooler, though if I am hand watering, one will come to me.

Respected Contributor

Respected Contributor

I am finding them on my hosta blooms now which just started flowering this week.