Honored Contributor

Are your hummers affected by the heat?

We have been in high 80's and they aren't showing up as much.  Hope they weather this heat OK.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Are your hummers affected by the heat?

@depglass  The temp here has also been in the high 80's with a dose of humidity to add to the heat.  I've always had quite a few Hummingbirds but this year only four showed up to my feeder, I'm not sure if our wacky spring freezes got to them or what happened, but the four Hummers I do have are very active and sucking down alot of nectar from my feeder.  I've even watched them at late dusk almost dark.  I worry the heat will dehydrate their little bodies.

Respected Contributor

After a slow start, our hummers are showing up - they usually come in the late evening - probably because it is cooler then.

Respected Contributor

I haven’t had many hummers this summer either.  We have been in the 90s for several days and I sometimes wonder if the sugar water might get too hot inside my feeder. 

Esteemed Contributor

Doesn't get too hot here, so I have not seen a change.

This year, for the first time ever, I see where a nest is.  Steady customers.

Respected Contributor

Mine are actually more active at the feeders, than they were during spring.  I figured the heat has halted natural blooming sources, leading to more dependence on feeders.

And, we're already hitting triple digit heat. I've not ever noticed a slowing down here in TX during very hot weather.  However, it is important to clean and refill feeders more often.  Extra attention is needed.

I have two feeders with water moats I couldn't keep filled. I finally realized that the little crested finches decided it was their water source, drinking them dry. So, I'm filling moats a couple of times per day, due to finches and heat.

Meanwhile, the feeder on my deck has to be shared with an Anole, who works so hard sticking his tongue into the little holes.  He's a sugar junkie lizard. Sometimes I have to direct him away to refill the feeder. 

Okay, you can probably tell I've been on lockdown, with so many details about my feeders, but I've particularly enjoyed taking time to study all my creatures more in depth. Don't get me started on Grackles.  Messy, but amazingly intelligent. 

Esteemed Contributor

They were a month late here in NY...but in the last month....constantly at feeder.  Don't know how many - a little fighting going on; but basically looks like a family group.  90 degrees again today and I'll give them fresh juice (again) today.

Lots of activity with the higher temps

Respected Contributor

We have hummers year-round and you know what our heat is like ☀️. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, mine have been less active since it got hot here.  They aren't at the feeders much during the heat of the day, but they are quite active in the early morning and evening.  That's typical for them this time of year here.

Hummingbirds like warm to hot weather.

Honored Contributor

LOL,LOL, HIGH 80s is not hot.  That's a moderate by by our standards.  100+° is hot.  🔥

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment