Honored Contributor

Re: Are you looking forward to spring?

Yes, I look forward to spring so I can see if those replanted peony plants put out buds & bloom. My fingers are crossed that the daffodils & hyacinths do the same.

I have to remove in spring a Deutzia ‘Yuki Cherry Blossom’ which got too happy in the area I put it in. It’s a pink flowering low growing, almost a ground cover shrub. Many Deutzias are white flowering. 

Also a small mountain laurel keeps getting fungal disease & that will be removed as well. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

No way, it just started to cool down here. We don’t get much spring and spring just means it’s that much closer to 110 degree temps for 6 months.

Respected Contributor

Not yet. I wanna enjoy the cool tempertures of fall and watch all the leaves turn pretty colors.

Regular Contributor

We live in the California desert . I still am running my AC  . The weather has changed but is questionable how long are Summer / Fall will last . I always enjoy hearing of the rain and colder temperatures in other states are experiencing  . I do appreciate and enjoy the changes we are having . 

Esteemed Contributor

@SweetieSugarPlum I start looking forward to spring when the see catalogs come in January and February. Right now I'm looking forward to a beautiful Fall (hopefully) lots and lots of snowstorms this winter! 

Esteemed Contributor

We're in the 50's today, which means my health issues are beginning to flare. I love, love, love warm weather with green leaves, grass and lots of plants!

In December 2017, my landscaper removed all of the large hostas, larger shrubs and evergreens, then added beautiful black dirt and installed new sod. They built a dry creek bed and added raised flower beds to match the house. In late April, my order of mini hostas arrived and I immediately planted them in the first raised bed, along with a yew for height and texture. In May the rest of my order arrived! I began planting red & pink bleeding hearts and hydrangeas in the second; heucheras with an arborvite in the third; moved my mom's peonies (white, pink and burgendy) into the fourth which runs along a side lot line with an arborvite; deep purple iris, bright yellow iris and three red iris in a fifth raised bed with lemon coral (an annual ground cover) also with an arborvite on the other side lot line, and a large spirea (for airy texture).

Everything grew well throughout the summer and (so far this fall).  Now, I'm anxious to see how it all survives the winter and is like in 2019. My aim was to regain more lawn and return the joy to my yard. (The lawn is done by a lawn care.)

This is so much easier to clean up than the previous large shrubs and evergreens (a lot of trimming)! It suits my age and health limitations of the future. So pleased with the easy-care required now. Hope winter zooms past and spring returns. This is the first time I've had mini hostas planted in the ground as a forever home. They are so small; I'm worried about them already! How will they survive our below zero temperatures and bitterly cold windchills? Guess time will tell. They certainly didn't like the first hard frost . . . and were gone long before a few other hosta (small & medium) plants needed to be cut back.  

Have a clump of Birch which is just beginning to drop leaves this week. The white bark is pretty year-round. Neighbors have the stunning colorful displays of reds. Such a pretty time of year.

Have had potted yellow mums for several years which I overwinter in the garage. Plan to continue to do that again. I planted surprise lilies (aka naked ladies), tulips, daffodils, jonquils and daisys about six weeks ago. Have a potted purple mum that may go into the ground yet this fall. Seems things are always being moved around in a flower bed!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

Always, and especially because the days get longer.  I've got some recently planted shrubs that i'm hoping put on some nice growth - chokeberry, serviceberry, American holly, sweetbay magnolia, native American euonymous (hearts-a-burstin').  Oh, and northern bayberry.

I have yet to plug in some inkberry holly but I will.  I recently found some wild jack-in-the-pulpit seed heads and tucked them into a fallen log in my woodland.  I hope something sprouts.

Right now the fall is gorgeous, though.  I enjoy the stillness of winter, at times, but I get depressed if we have weeks of gray skies. Then I really look forward to spring.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Not me, not yet.  I look forward to a rest from the garden chores for awhile.  Once the leaves are cleaned up, I will get my quilting out and be content to enjoy late Fall and winter.  I love all of the seasons.  LM

Honored Contributor

Ask me again in January /February when everything is cold , wet, damp and  dark.....

Respected Contributor

The only part of Spring I enjoy is when the snowbirds go back north.